May 20, 2020
Hello
I'm hoping you will be able to help me narrow down the culprit for my issues, i've done what I can/know how to do to try and get a definitive answer as to which part of my PC is causing the problems. It's probably worth noting that I recently transferred my OS to my SSD, using Macrium reflect. Everything seemed to be working, but these issues started not long after. (Not sure if related)

The Issues (Short Version)
  • Spontaneous restarts at seemingly random intervals
  • System hanging at random intervals
  • Unresponsive functions but current game working fine
  • Frozen requiring shutdown
PC Specs
  • CPU - AMD FX6300 black edition 6 core (4yrs old - original setup)
  • GPU - AMD RX 570 - Sapphire - Nitro + (2.5yrs old - same time as PSU)
  • PSU - Raidmax - Cobra Power 600W RX-600AE, 80 + Gold (2.5yrs old - same time as GPU)
  • RAM - 8GB - DDR3 (4yrs old - original setup)
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte 970A-D3P (4yrs old - original setup)
  • Windows 10 - 64 bit
  • SSD (with OS) - Crucial MX500 250GB (2yrs old)
  • Never used overclocking
What I've Tried (Basic easy stuff)
  • Driver updates & rollbacks
  • Windows Memory diagnostic (fine)
  • SSD scans
  • sfc \scannow
  • Quick Virus Scans (Windows defender)
  • Given the whole thing a damn good clean

The Issues (Long Version)
System Hanging
This happens at seemingly random intervals, I could be writing up an assignment for uni or playing a game, I get no warnings or indication that I'm going to get an issue. Just happens. Before the hangs, during standard PC use my CPU is usually at around 30% and my GPU at 0%. During games around 75% and 60% respectively. After the system begins responding again and during standard use, my CPU goes to 100% and GPU to about 10%, if it happens during games, they both max at 100% after my computer begins to respond again. Although this may just be the case of them both catching up. CPU temperatures never go higher than 55degrees, GPU never higher than 60degrees whilst I've been monitoring.
During the hangs I can move my mouse, highlight buttons, alt tab etc. But nothing I click on works/responds to input. Things still happen whilst the hanging is ongoing such as a loading bar spinning at a set speed, stopping during the hang, and then catching up (at increased speed) after the hang stops. In terms of frequency, have experienced the hang 4 or 5 times whilst writing this.

Unresponsive function but current game working fine
This more builds upon the hanging issue. I'm occasionally tabbed into a game, playing as normal, when I'll alt tab to find my system is hanging. Same symptoms, buttons highlight, windows pop up but wont close again except this time the game I am playing is still working as normal. No frame drops/lag etc. This does not always happen, most of the time games are also unresponsive

Spontaneous Reboots

Happens at random intervals, usually when playing a game but has also happened when using word/excel. Has happened both on start of new process/application and at random during use. PC turns off and on very quickly (3 or 4 times faster than usual), I don't get warning or the classic 'restarting screen', just a single clicking noise and then a blank screen. When it reboots, it boots normally, just at a faster pace. These come with the 'Kernel Power 41' Error which says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." Frequency wise, I can expect this to happen 1-3 times in a day.

Frozen, requiring shutdown
Relatively rare (compared to other symptoms), system occasionally not responds entirely with no warning and requires a forced restart to fix it.

As I say, i'd like to be able to narrow down the cause so that I can fix the issue or purchase new parts. Cheers for any future help you might be able to give me

So if I understand you correct, the short story goes like: Replaced harddrive with ssd using this commercial software, and then a lot of errors started to occur ?

Have you considered trying to disconnect the ssd and put back the old hard drive ?

May 20, 2020
So if I understand you correct, the short story goes like: Replaced harddrive with ssd using this commercial software, and then a lot of errors started to occur ?

Have you considered trying to disconnect the ssd and put back the old hard drive ?

I can try that, although its worth noting that after I moved my OS to the SSD the issues didnt start for id say around a week. I will give it a go however, can't hurt.

May 20, 2020

Alright so I did this. Initially, my SSD wouldn't read as a boot drive so I think i moved it over a couple times before it actually worked. The good news is, i'm no longer getting any system hangs (as of yet) and its been a few days now. The downside is, I am still getting the occasional spontaneous reboot. Any ideas what could be causing it?

TRENDING THREADS