Question Spontaneous restarts, black screens, suspect faulty components - but which one?

schwwwk

Prominent
Jan 30, 2021
Normally my PC runs fine. However sometimes I get:

-Black monitor when unsuspending. Rebooting monitor or unplugging/replugging hdmi cable gives no signal screen. Have to force reboot to get a display. This happens relatively often, maybe every 1-2 weeks or so.
-Black monitor when attempting to suspend PC, fans and lights are still on so it's not powered off. Again can't get a display, have to power it off. This is less common, maybe once every 1-2 months.
-Spontaneous reboots. I am using the PC as normal (no gaming, just browsing or whatever) when it powers off and turns itself back on. I can use it as normal after this. Rare, I'd say it's happened a handful of times since I built the PC (start of 2021).

Once-off issues:
-Start of May I was working in Unity (complex scene, resource usage probably comparable to when gaming) when the screen flickered and went yellow. Again, had to force reboot to use my PC again.
-Today I had a USB mug warmer plugged into a front port. When I unplugged it, computer restarted itself. It looked to reboot fine but my mouse started behaving erratically, it seemed to be stuck on a left click dragging something around and didn't register any other inputs. Again, powering off and powering it back on later fixed it.

Worth noting that at the start of this year I moved into a new place. A few minutes after first turning on my computer there, my monitor started smoking. The power in that flat was sketchy, I had a light smoke out on me a few days after that and an electrician had to fix problems in like half the house. I still don't know if it was a freak coincidence, don't know what it may have done to my PC, but I am worried it's mucked up something in the electronics as these issues seem to have gotten worse since that incident.

Either way, it's annoying and I would like to resolve this before e.g. a faulty PSU fries all my other components. I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting without having an idea of what component is the faulty one - or software, maybe. I'm leaning towards it being PSU or mobo issue, but it's hard to tell.... thoughts?

Specs:
Ryzen 5 1400
Gigabyte B450M S2H
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB
Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB
Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280
Asus GTX 970
Silverstone Essential 550 W
Aerocool Aero-500 ATX Mid Tower Case
No components are overclocked.

Software:
Xubuntu 20.04 with kernel 5.13.0-51-generic
NVIDIA drivers version 470.129.06
BIOS version F60h

Last edited:
Normally my PC runs fine. However sometimes I get:

-Black monitor when unsuspending. Rebooting monitor or unplugging/replugging hdmi cable gives no signal screen. Have to force reboot to get a display. This happens relatively often, maybe every 1-2 weeks or so.
-Black monitor when attempting to suspend PC, fans and lights are still on so it's not powered off. Again can't get a display, have to power it off. This is less common, maybe once every 1-2 months.
-Spontaneous reboots. I am using the PC as normal (no gaming, just browsing or whatever) when it powers off and turns itself back on. I can use it as normal after this. Rare, I'd say it's happened a handful of times since I built the PC (start of 2021).

Once-off issues:
-Start of May I was working in Unity (complex scene, resource usage probably comparable to when gaming) when the screen flickered and went yellow. Again, had to force reboot to use my PC again.
-Today I had a USB mug warmer plugged into a front port. When I unplugged it, computer restarted itself. It looked to reboot fine but my mouse started behaving erratically, it seemed to be stuck on a left click dragging something around and didn't register any other inputs. Again, powering off and powering it back on later fixed it.

Worth noting that at the start of this year I moved into a new place. A few minutes after first turning on my computer there, my monitor started smoking. The power in that flat was sketchy, I had a light smoke out on me a few days after that and an electrician had to fix problems in like half the house. I still don't know if it was a freak coincidence, don't know what it may have done to my PC, but I am worried it's <Mod Edit> up something in the electronics as these issues seem to have gotten worse since that incident.

Either way, it's annoying and I would like to resolve this before e.g. a faulty PSU fries all my other components. I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting without having an idea of what component is the faulty one - or software, maybe. I'm leaning towards it being PSU or mobo issue, but it's hard to tell.... thoughts?

Specs:
Ryzen 5 1400
Gigabyte B450M S2H
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB
Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB
Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280
Asus GTX 970
Silverstone Essential 550 W
Aerocool Aero-500 ATX Mid Tower Case
No components are overclocked.

Software:
Xubuntu 20.04 with kernel 5.13.0-51-generic
NVIDIA drivers version 470.129.06
BIOS version F60h
I would start with PSU. monitor smoke may be indication of over voltage in mains Although monitor power/voltage regulation is much simpler than PC PSUs that have much better regulation they can still be damaged.
BTW, that PSU is not a high teer.

schwwwk

Prominent
Jan 30, 2021
I would start with PSU. monitor smoke may be indication of over voltage in mains Although monitor power/voltage regulation is much simpler than PC PSUs that have much better regulation they can still be damaged.
BTW, that PSU is not a high teer.
Yeah, that makes sense and is what I had a hunch about. If I end up buying a new PSU I'll consider upgrading.

Will note I did have all this plugged into a surge protector when it happened - light still red so appears to be still working - so assuming there was a power surge, I'm not sure how it managed to kill my monitor but leave the surge protector untouched. Am not an expert in this though.

Yeah, that makes sense and is what I had a hunch about. If I end up buying a new PSU I'll consider upgrading.

Will note I did have all this plugged into a surge protector when it happened - light still red so appears to be still working - so assuming there was a power surge, I'm not sure how it managed to kill my monitor but leave the surge protector untouched. Am not an expert in this though.
Not all surge protectors are created equal, some are no more than scam.

schwwwk

Prominent
Jan 30, 2021
New problem - I put my PC into suspend as normal, when I tried to turn it on got a black screen and force rebooted (this is sadly becoming normal for me...). On reboot my keyboard stopped working until I unplugged it and plugged it back in. This has never happened before, but after the last USB device caused trouble, I'm wondering if it left some damage. Or could it be my motherboard is the faulty component?

New problem - I put my PC into suspend as normal, when I tried to turn it on got a black screen and force rebooted (this is sadly becoming normal for me...). On reboot my keyboard stopped working until I unplugged it and plugged it back in. This has never happened before, but after the last USB device caused trouble, I'm wondering if it left some damage. Or could it be my motherboard is the faulty component?
That could be and usually is Windows problem.