Spoofing a Secured Wi-Fi network to allow for multiple connections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2018
Hello,

I have access to a secured wi-fi network that will allow me to connect up to 8 devices on an annual basis. However, they are unique divices, so I can't remove one to allow a different one to connect. I would like to buy some piece of hardware that I can connect to the network (this can be done mannually using a mac address, or by logging in with the device), that would allow me to open up the network to more than the 8 devices. I was thinkin about buying a router or a repeater or something that has a single IP address and is either unsecured, or can be logged into with a User ID and password, but that doesn't limit the number of connected devices

Is this possible?

THANKS!

Mar 13, 2018

We own a condo in a resort complex. The wifi (for which pay an annual fee), is owned by the preponderance of the resort ownership. The annual fee allows for 8 unique devices (ncluding things like smart TVs). So once we give access to all the TVs, my phone and PC along with others, we don't have any space to allow for any of our guests to use the wi-fi. I am wondering if there is a way to extend this beyond the 8 unique devices. If I use one unique device to extend it, I don't believe I am breaking any rules per se.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your proposed solution could work, but is technically a violation of the rules you agreed to in the resort complex. The additional devices, even connected through another router, for example (or via Internet Connection Sharing on a Windows system), would add an additional burden on the shared network, more than your fair share.

Let your conscience be your guide.

Mar 13, 2018

My conscience, in this case, would be clear. If I allowed a guest to use my condo when I'm not around, then there is no extra burden on the network. I'm not looking to attach more than 8 devices at any one time, but just some flexibilty in what is attached, and when. In this case the resort is inflexible, so I am looking for a way (technically within the rules) to allow my guests to use wi-fi (which I am paying for) on their own devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS