Spooler crashes every few minutes

The print spooler service on a Windows XP SP2 workstation is crashing every
minute or so for no apparent reason.
The Service Control Manager logs this in the system log as event id 7031
(the service terminated unexpectedly.)
sc query spooler returns and exit code of 1067

Can anyone shed any light on what this exit code means and what might be
causing the service to crash?

Many thanks
--
BMC
Delete delete and remove remove to email

BMC <newsdeletegroup@inselremoveaffe.co.uk> wrote:

>The print spooler service on a Windows XP SP2 workstation is crashing every
>minute or so for no apparent reason.
>The Service Control Manager logs this in the system log as event id 7031
>(the service terminated unexpectedly.)
>sc query spooler returns and exit code of 1067

This could be caused by malware. Scan your system with Ad-aware
(http://www.lavasoft.de) and a virus scanner.
"List of Antivirus Software Vendors"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=49500)

--
(tm)

"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> This could be caused by malware. Scan your system with Ad-aware
> (http://www.lavasoft.de) and a virus scanner.
> "List of Antivirus Software Vendors"
> (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=49500)
>
> --
> (tm)

Thanks but there is no spyware detected by either Adaware or the MS
AntiSpyware beta on the machine. An yother ideas would be welcome.

BMC <newsdeletegroup@inselremoveaffe.co.uk> wrote:

>The print spooler service on a Windows XP SP2 workstation is crashing every
>minute or so for no apparent reason.
>The Service Control Manager logs this in the system log as event id 7031
>(the service terminated unexpectedly.)
>sc query spooler returns and exit code of 1067
>
>Can anyone shed any light on what this exit code means and what might be
>causing the service to crash?
>
>Many thanks

Try uninstalling and then reinstalling your printer(s).

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

"Ron Martell" wrote:
> Try uninstalling and then reinstalling your printer(s).
>
> Good luck
I tried that. Even with no printers installed at all, it still terminiates
as before.

BMC <newsdeletegroup@inselremoveaffe.co.uk> wrote:

>Thanks but there is no spyware detected by either Adaware or the MS
>AntiSpyware beta on the machine. An yother ideas would be welcome.

What about viruses? Also scan from the Safe Mode.

--
(tm)

"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:
> What about viruses? Also scan from the Safe Mode.

It's not that either, again it's something I'd already checked. There
doesn't seem to be any performance or other issues with the machine, nothing
unusual (except this) showing up in the event logs. No funny software
installed. It's very peculiar.

Cheers