SPOOLSS.EXE CRASHING - HELP!!!!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

We have a File/Printer server running on a Windows NT 6.0
Service Pack 6a and every so often the SPOOLSS.EXE
crashes. We have reapplied the service pack (6a). We also
printed a document to every printer on the network,
printed to every printer from a workstation (using the
printer shares on the server) and every so often the
SPOOLSS.EXE crashes.

We know its not a user that is causing this, because we
have added PRINT notifications in the event log and in the
past when it crashes the past two times the user names
were different. We also have ellimated it that it ISNT one
particular printer as the first time it did it (when we
were logging) the printer is different from the second
time it did it.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

1. Have a look at the drwtsn32.log, and seee what module might be crashing
the spooler. Look out for FAULT -> , and check out the stack below that for
the morules that caused the crash. (The WinXP drwtsn32 help file explains
the log format really well)

2. If you have lots of print monitors installed on the box, they may be
behind it, check out this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

stop the spooler service, Backup the above registry key by exporting it to a
..reg file then delete any third party Language Monitor registry keys.
re-start the spooler service

If any issues, stop the spooleer service and re-import the .reg file.

Compare this key to a base NT4 print server to see which are the non-default
print monitors.

Cheers,
Dimce