Spoolsv.exe & CPU Since Update

Since my last automatic August update for my W2KSP4 machine, I have not been
able to print anything from MS products. I find that process spoolsv.exe is
using close to 100% CPU. I've seen that there were problems with the SP4
Rollup with this regard, and noticed that the update MS05-043 had something
to do with the spool server. I'm guessing that MS's "fix" does not play well
with others.

The same thing happened on another W2K machine of mine.

Does anyone know what is going on, and how I can print again?

Check Event Viewer system log for errors.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Don Miller" wrote:
| Since my last automatic August update for my W2KSP4 machine, I have not
been
| able to print anything from MS products. I find that process spoolsv.exe
is
| using close to 100% CPU. I've seen that there were problems with the SP4
| Rollup with this regard, and noticed that the update MS05-043 had
something
| to do with the spool server. I'm guessing that MS's "fix" does not play
well
| with others.
|
| The same thing happened on another W2K machine of mine.
|
| Does anyone know what is going on, and how I can print again?

Hi Don,

Thanks for posting here. Also thanks for our MVP Dave's advice.

Actually, there were some similar printing issues with latest updates for
Windows 2000. Don, you may refer to the following KB article for
troubleshooting first:

Users cannot print after you install a service pack, update rollup, or
printer hotfix on a server in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832219

If above KB article cannot help on your issue, you may attempt to uninstall
the latest updates one by one for a test. If the issue disappears after
the removal of certain update, you may try to install this update again to
reproduce this issue. If you can reproduce this issue as expected, please
let us know which update is the root cause.

Hope this helps!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Tom Che
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
>From: "Don Miller" <nospam@nospam.com>
>Subject: Spoolsv.exe & CPU Since Update
>Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 20:21:47 -0500
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
>
>Since my last automatic August update for my W2KSP4 machine, I have not
been
>able to print anything from MS products. I find that process spoolsv.exe is
>using close to 100% CPU. I've seen that there were problems with the SP4
>Rollup with this regard, and noticed that the update MS05-043 had something
>to do with the spool server. I'm guessing that MS's "fix" does not play
well
>with others.
>
>The same thing happened on another W2K machine of mine.
>
>Does anyone know what is going on, and how I can print again?

I received these print errors every time I tried to print since a Windows
update on 8/13/05 (as seen in the system log).

The document XXX owned by XXX failed to print on printer Brother
HL-1650/1670N-USB. Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in bytes:
0. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document: 0.
Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: XXX. Win32 error code returned
by the print processor: 259.

The document XXX owned by XXX failed to print on printer Brother
HL-1650/1670N series. Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in
bytes: 0. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document:
0. Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: XXX. Win32 error code
returned by the print processor: 1801.

I've literally spent hours with this issue, uninstalling and reinstalling
print drivers, etc. and even contacted Linksys for support since when I try
to print anything over my LAN, it shuts down the network on whatever router
the computer is connected to, and then I have to power down and power up the
router (unplugging) to get the network to work again.

Thanks for any help as I could not find anyone else having these problems.

"Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
> Check Event Viewer system log for errors.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Don Miller" wrote:
> | Since my last automatic August update for my W2KSP4 machine, I have not
> been
> | able to print anything from MS products. I find that process spoolsv.exe
> is
> | using close to 100% CPU. I've seen that there were problems with the SP4
> | Rollup with this regard, and noticed that the update MS05-043 had
> something
> | to do with the spool server. I'm guessing that MS's "fix" does not play
> well
> | with others.
> |
> | The same thing happened on another W2K machine of mine.
> |
> | Does anyone know what is going on, and how I can print again?

When you view the logged events in Event Viewer (double-click them in the
right-hand pane) in the upper right corner, third button down is a copy to
clipboard, then you can paste in the body of a reply message.

Please do so for each of the different System Log events (that are a Type:
'Error' or 'Warning') since last boot so we can see all of the event detail.

Also check Device Manager for error codes and or non-starting devices.

--

"Don Miller" wrote:
|I received these print errors every time I tried to print since a Windows
| update on 8/13/05 (as seen in the system log).
|
| The document XXX owned by XXX failed to print on printer Brother
| HL-1650/1670N-USB. Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in
bytes:
| 0. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document: 0.
| Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: XXX. Win32 error code returned
| by the print processor: 259.
|
| The document XXX owned by XXX failed to print on printer Brother
| HL-1650/1670N series. Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in
| bytes: 0. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the
document:
| 0. Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: XXX. Win32 error code
| returned by the print processor: 1801.
|
| I've literally spent hours with this issue, uninstalling and reinstalling
| print drivers, etc. and even contacted Linksys for support since when I
try
| to print anything over my LAN, it shuts down the network on whatever
router
| the computer is connected to, and then I have to power down and power up
the
| router (unplugging) to get the network to work again.
|
| Thanks for any help as I could not find anyone else having these problems.

This article may also help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;M824339

--

"Don Miller" wrote:
| OK. I tried the workaround. Deleted two BUD files and then went to regedit
| and never found a subkey PostSPUpgrade. I deleted by old printer and added
| new printer using the generic Brother drivers as provided on the link you
| left. I could even see the printer "opening" and the BUD file appearing
and
| then tried to print a test page when it was ready. The test page error
| message popped up immediately. Then, my printer was no longer recognized
on
| the network and I had to unplug and plug in again the router to be able to
| see the printer on the network. Then I tried printing a test page again
| without success. And now my printer is off the network again.
|
| I tried the workaround on my other computer and also did not find the
subkey
| PostSPUpgrade.
|
| And here is the properties from the error event:
|
| Event Type: Error
| Event Source: Print
| Event Category: None
| Event ID: 6161
| Date: 9/7/05
| Time: 9:42:20 AM
| User: xxxxx/xxxxx
| Computer: xxxxx
| The document Test Page owned by xxxxxx failed to print on printer
| \\BRN_327B00\BINARY_P1. Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in
| bytes: 0. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the
document:
| 0. Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: \\xxxxx Win32 error code
| returned by the print processor: 259.

Hi
I have a win2000 terminal server. after upgrade w/hotfix MS05-043 I started
to get id 6161 Print errors....
I removed the hotfix to work, and I hope MS release a less-impactive upgrade
.... :)

anyway I'll plain to reinstall the upgrade and follow the suggest cleanup