Spotted: 8 GB XFX Radeon R9 290X Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
One thing AMD is consistently great at is adding a bunch of VRAM to their high-end cards.
Yes, but that is kinda spoiling the game companies who are assuming that every single gamer is going to have a card with these massive amounts of VRAM on it.
Sorry but I cannot afford the cost of a laptop that has an NVidia graphics processor in it and this much memory, it comes to about 2K-3K once you are done configuring, touching nothing but the graphics card.

Alter-iGo

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
This is move is relevant just as putting 2GB on NV GF740/730 or AMD R5 card.
you will see no FPS gain out of it, except MAYBE extreme setups like 3*4K with more then 2 cards in SLI/CFX. How many people have this setup?...
The facts that games will load maps to memory as much as they can doesn't contribute to batter gameplay.
http://
and the page after. This is from guru3d COD-Advance Warfare graphics performance benchmark.
==>NO correlation between memory use to FPS.

Zeroplanetz

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Its a bummer that my upgrade time frame and OCD has me on NVidia time frame. I just bought the MSI Gaming 970. Well about 3 weeks ago now. I wanted to go with AMD but when I needed to purchase there new cards came out and AMD hadn't dropped there prices yet to combat nvidias specs per price. Maybe next time though. Always hope.`

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
A sapphire version has been available from only 1 online retailer world wide for many months now. If this is just in the UK how is this going to help AMD? Adding 4 more GB of VRAM should only increase the cost of the card by $100. They will make much more money selling at a reasonable price. I have 3x1600P setup and getting some of these would be great for me with some of the newer games. But not at a $1k a pop.

8GB of VRAM!!??
Useful if you are running 3840 x 2160 or higher (Actually, even that resolution might be kinda low for that much RAM.)
or using eyefinity with multiple monitors.
Not much point for all that vram.
Jus want everyone to keep in mind, for most people 8GB isn't going to help you get a better frame rate. For me going from 2 GB to 8 GB on the same GPU would yield ZERO additional frames per second because I play games at 1080p.

mordorrson

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
@Alter-iGo Did you read the article? These cards are meant for 4k and multi 1440p monitor setups. Believe it or not, 2GB is pretty much the smallest amount you can use for 1080p right now, as 1GB doesn't cut it for textures any higher than the medium settings on most games. Having 8GB will be extremely useful for people that are running triple-monitor setups @1440p as 4GB cards just don't have enough of a frame buffer for that many pixels. The niche market that uses triple monitor setups @1440p also happens to be the niche market that buys 2 or 3 290Xs or GTX 980s to run those monitors, so them making 8GB cards makes complete sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.