Spotty, slow connection - is it my pci card?

jbaldachino

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
I am running Vista 64 on a new build.

I have tried two separate routers, both broadcasting in g (no n router yet).

I installed this wireless card:

ENCORE ENLWI-N IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0 PCI 2.3 Wireless Adapter Up to 300Mbps Data Rates 64/128-bits WEP Encryption WPA, WPA2 WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK - Retail

I have tried both the drivers from the CD and the latest Ralink 64-bit drivers.

In both cases here is what happens:

Signal strength on each antenna between 10 - 30%

Link quality between 40 - 60%

Looking at the Windows wireless signal strength meter, I'm at 1 - 2 bars.

Internet connection is spotty and sub 56k speeds at best, non-existent at worst (with no change in the above stats).

4 other laptops in the apartment can get signal (again, at 1 - 2 bars on the Windows signal strength meter) and operate at a normal speed (if not very fast, still fast enough to download large files in reasonable times). 2 of the laptops are running Vista 32 and two are running XP.

I should also mention I can put a laptop in the exact same spot as the desktop and still get working wireless, so I know the signal can reach the location (the broadcast is 2 floors down).

I am thinking it must be the card. I have tried uninstalling reinstalling, everything. I'm very much a networking amateur but I can't for the life of me figure out whats going on.

I'm running out of my 30 day return policy, should I just send it back?

jbaldachino

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
There are certainly different things I could buy to try and improve the signal (and I think I still will) but what I'm worried about is the card. Do the 4 other laptops really have substantially better wireless cards than this one (with three external antennas?)

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Since the source is located below, the antennas may need to be adjusted to receive full signal.
Those antennas are somewhat directional (horizontal) in nature.

If the card isn't what you expected, return it.

TRENDING THREADS