[SOLVED] Spreading the WiFi signal in house

blackarrow

Reputable
Apr 25, 2016
Hello

I have a cable modem (and router in it) and I get signal via WiFi. However, in some places in the house the signal gets too weak (thick concrete walls are probably limiting the signal) but I can't move the modem. I do have another router (TP-Link TL-WR841N N300) which I currently don't use.

Since I am not an expert in networking, my question is if I could use the router I have (TP-Link) to somehow better spread the signal in my house? For example, the first modem with router can cover one part of the house, and my second router the other half.

Thanks.

Solution
I don't think that router has that feature.

In addition even when you get it working well it will lose 1/2 the bandwidth.

Your largest issues is the poor wifi signals. Does not do much good if it gets a crappy signal and they repeats further degrading it. The device needs to get a strong signal and the still be able to send it to the remote location. When the problem is walls absorbing the signal you can't do much......have to cut holes in the wall and that is what physical wires in effect are doing.
Yes the router can be used to expand the coverage but that is the easy part. The hard part is how do you get the signal to the second router from the first router.

The best option is to use a ethernet cable. If you do not have that you can consider powerline networks or if you have tv coax moca devices. These more or less do the same thing as a ethernet cable but not as fast. You would then use your other router as a AP. Pretty much you hook wifi radios on the end of a long ethernet cable.

I don't think that router has that feature.

In addition even when you get it working well it will lose 1/2 the bandwidth.

Your largest issues is the poor wifi signals. Does not do much good if it gets a crappy signal and they repeats further degrading it. The device needs to get a strong signal and the still be able to send it to the remote location. When the problem is walls absorbing the signal you can't do much......have to cut holes in the wall and that is what physical wires in effect are doing.

Solution