Sprint, Cingular, Verizon admit to worthless coverage maps.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

http://www.team4news.com/Global/story.asp?S=2069335

AUSTIN, Texas

Under the terms of the agreement, Cingular Wireless, Sprint PCS and
Verizon Wireless must provide customers with coverage-area maps that are
as accurate as current technology allows; give consumers at least two
weeks to terminate service contracts without incurring penalties; and
change the way they advertise and sell services and coverage.

http://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagNews/release.php?id=533

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In <rmarkoff-4ADED7.12163321072004@news3.west.earthlink.net> on Wed, 21 Jul
2004 17:16:33 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

>http://www.team4news.com/Global/story.asp?S=2069335
>
>AUSTIN, Texas
>
>Under the terms of the agreement, Cingular Wireless, Sprint PCS and
>Verizon Wireless must provide customers with coverage-area maps that are
>as accurate as current technology allows; give consumers at least two
>weeks to terminate service contracts without incurring penalties; and
>change the way they advertise and sell services and coverage.
>
>http://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagNews/release.php?id=533

In fact the carriers didn't "admit" to anything of the kind:

42. Carrier is entering into this Assurance solely for the purposes
of settlement. Nothing contained in this Assurance may be taken as or
construed to be an admission by Carrier or as evidence supporting any
of the allegations raised by the Attorneys General, any matter of
fact or law, any violation of state or federal law, or any other
liability or wrongdoing whatsoever, including without limitation an
admission by Carrier that any of its business practices are or have
been unfair or deceptive, or violate or have violated any of the
Consumer Statutes of any of the Participating States, all of which
Carrier expressly denies.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

And Phillipe gets more creative with Subject lines once again ...

For a more detailed report, including the list of states, here's another
link -

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/040721/wireless_consumer_rights_2.html

Bob

"Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote in message
> http://www.team4news.com/Global/story.asp?S=2069335
>

> AUSTIN, Texas
>

> Under the terms of the agreement, Cingular Wireless, Sprint PCS and
> Verizon Wireless must provide customers with coverage-area maps that are
> as accurate as current technology allows; give consumers at least two
> weeks to terminate service contracts without incurring penalties; and
> change the way they advertise and sell services and coverage.
>

> http://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagNews/release.php?id=533

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Not in support of anyone's opinion here, but most out-of-court settlements
include a denial of liability. The fact one exists has little bearing on
whether or not they do, in fact, use deceptive trade practices.

In article <JkyLc.10904$Qu5.4971@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Bob Smith" <usirsclt@earthlink.net> wrote:

> And Phillipe gets more creative with Subject lines once again ...

And Smith, the Sprint apologist won't admit. The coverage maps are
worthless and hence the lawsuits and settlement.

Read the PDFs, not some lame story thats a cut and paste from a
press release.

In article <0ayLc.3469$54.48014@typhoon.sonic.net>,
John Navas <jnrelay1@sonic.net> wrote:

> In <rmarkoff-4ADED7.12163321072004@news3.west.earthlink.net> on Wed, 21 Jul
> 2004 17:16:33 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:
>
> >http://www.team4news.com/Global/story.asp?S=2069335
> >
> >AUSTIN, Texas
> >
> >Under the terms of the agreement, Cingular Wireless, Sprint PCS and
> >Verizon Wireless must provide customers with coverage-area maps that are
> >as accurate as current technology allows; give consumers at least two
> >weeks to terminate service contracts without incurring penalties; and
> >change the way they advertise and sell services and coverage.
> >
> >http://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagNews/release.php?id=533
>

> In fact the carriers didn't "admit" to anything of the kind:
>
> 42. Carrier is entering into this Assurance solely for the purposes
> of settlement. Nothing contained in this Assurance may be taken as or
> construed to be an admission by Carrier or as evidence supporting any
> of the allegations raised by the Attorneys General, any matter of
> fact or law, any violation of state or federal law, or any other
> liability or wrongdoing whatsoever, including without limitation an
> admission by Carrier that any of its business practices are or have
> been unfair or deceptive, or violate or have violated any of the
> Consumer Statutes of any of the Participating States, all of which
> Carrier expressly denies.

Of course thats what had to be agreed to to get a settlement. Navas,
another Cellular apologist.

Everyone but Navas and Smith accepts how worthless current coverage
coverage maps are.

"Røbert M." wrote:

> In article <JkyLc.10904$Qu5.4971@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> "Bob Smith" <usirsclt@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > And Phillipe gets more creative with Subject lines once again ...
>
> And Smith, the Sprint apologist won't admit. The coverage maps are
> worthless and hence the lawsuits and settlement.
>
> Read the PDFs, not some lame story thats a cut and paste from a
> press release.
>
> http://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagNews/release.php?id=533

Life, for you, at this point, probably won't get any better, what with
the phone companies having been found guilty... Isn't that what you've
lived for?

I'd say it's a pretty good time for you to contemplate suicide.

Notan

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <40FEDC03.64512B90@ddress.com>, Notan <notan@ddress.com>
wrote:

> "Røbert M." wrote:
> >
> > In article <JkyLc.10904$Qu5.4971@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> > "Bob Smith" <usirsclt@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > > And Phillipe gets more creative with Subject lines once again ...
> >
> > And Smith, the Sprint apologist won't admit. The coverage maps are
> > worthless and hence the lawsuits and settlement.
> >
> > Read the PDFs, not some lame story thats a cut and paste from a
> > press release.
> >
> > http://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagNews/release.php?id=533
>
> Life, for you, at this point, probably won't get any better, what with
> the phone companies having been found guilty... Isn't that what you've
> lived for?
>
> I'd say it's a pretty good time for you to contemplate suicide.

And this is supposed to excuse the cellular carriers, and their shills
trying to spin this all into not meaningful?

Sorry, I'll still be HERE for a while, enjoying my new PowerMac G5.

Charles

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:14:23 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty>
wrote:

>In article <40FEDC03.64512B90@ddress.com>, Notan <notan@ddress.com>
>wrote:
>
>> "Røbert M." wrote:

>Sorry, I'll still be HERE for a while, enjoying my new PowerMac G5.

I am more sorry than you.

"Røbert M." wrote:

> In article <40FEDC03.64512B90@ddress.com>, Notan <notan@ddress.com>
> wrote:
>
> > "Røbert M." wrote:

> > > And Smith, the Sprint apologist won't admit. The coverage maps are
> > > worthless and hence the lawsuits and settlement.
> > >
> > > Read the PDFs, not some lame story thats a cut and paste from a
> > > press release.
> > >
> > > http://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagNews/release.php?id=533
> >
> > Life, for you, at this point, probably won't get any better, what with
> > the phone companies having been found guilty... Isn't that what you've
> > lived for?
> >
> > I'd say it's a pretty good time for you to contemplate suicide.
>
> And this is supposed to excuse the cellular carriers, and their shills
> trying to spin this all into not meaningful?

Nope, no excuse.

Just a constructive suggestion.

Notan

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <spntf0d2vnaa93iue85mfkqsdf0feg5f8r@4ax.com>,
Charles <Charles> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:14:23 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <40FEDC03.64512B90@ddress.com>, Notan <notan@ddress.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> "Røbert M." wrote:
>
> >Sorry, I'll still be HERE for a while, enjoying my new PowerMac G5.
>
> I am more sorry than you.
You'd prefer carriers continue their dishonest ways?

http://columbus.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2004/07/19/daily16.html

The rest of us are sorry about the worthless coverage maps the cellular
carriers foist in consumers.

And a particular irony is a Cingular Press Release today. After
advertising their National GSM for months (years?) today they announce
they finally have coverage in the Florida panhandle.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040720/cltu028_1.html

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <40FEDD87.B4DACEED@ddress.com>, Notan <notan@ddress.com>
wrote:

> "Røbert M." wrote:
> >
> > In article <40FEDC03.64512B90@ddress.com>, Notan <notan@ddress.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Life, for you, at this point, probably won't get any better, what with
> > > the phone companies having been found guilty... Isn't that what you've
> > > lived for?
> > >
> > > I'd say it's a pretty good time for you to contemplate suicide.
> >
> > And this is supposed to excuse the cellular carriers, and their shills
> > trying to spin this all into not meaningful?
>
> Nope, no excuse.
>
> Just a constructive suggestion.

You are sick. No one else calls suicide constructive.

PLONK

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Well, we all knew deceit and fraudulent ways were within the walls of these
companies and it takes an article to figure that out? Please, why would a
cellular company have a good legible coverage map...so they don't have to be
liable for certain areas their not even sure about! O by the way...Verizon
does have the best network around and I can make calls anytime and anywhere
I am...so let the fraud continue and I'll be happy to keep paying them. No
problem.

"Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote in message
> http://www.team4news.com/Global/story.asp?S=2069335
>

> AUSTIN, Texas
>

> Under the terms of the agreement, Cingular Wireless, Sprint PCS and
> Verizon Wireless must provide customers with coverage-area maps that are
> as accurate as current technology allows; give consumers at least two
> weeks to terminate service contracts without incurring penalties; and
> change the way they advertise and sell services and coverage.
>

> http://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagNews/release.php?id=533

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Well, its about time.

In <rmarkoff-65C6C4.16012321072004@news3.west.earthlink.net> on Wed, 21 Jul
2004 21:01:23 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

>In article <0ayLc.3469$54.48014@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <jnrelay1@sonic.net> wrote:

>> In fact the carriers didn't "admit" to anything of the kind:
>>
>> 42. Carrier is entering into this Assurance solely for the purposes
>> of settlement. Nothing contained in this Assurance may be taken as or
>> construed to be an admission by Carrier or as evidence supporting any
>> of the allegations raised by the Attorneys General, any matter of
>> fact or law, any violation of state or federal law, or any other
>> liability or wrongdoing whatsoever, including without limitation an
>> admission by Carrier that any of its business practices are or have
>> been unfair or deceptive, or violate or have violated any of the
>> Consumer Statutes of any of the Participating States, all of which
>> Carrier expressly denies.
>
>Of course thats what had to be agreed to to get a settlement.

In other words, you were dishonest.

>Navas,
>another Cellular apologist.

Nope. "Just the facts, nothing but the facts."

>Everyone but Navas and Smith accepts how worthless current coverage
>coverage maps are.

Meaningless and irrelevant to your claim; in other words, just a sleazy
attempt to divert attention from your dishonesty.

Not even a nice try. No cigar.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In <rmarkoff-9D3569.15580521072004@news3.west.earthlink.net> on Wed, 21 Jul
2004 20:58:05 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

>In article <JkyLc.10904$Qu5.4971@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,

> "Bob Smith" <usirsclt@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> And Phillipe gets more creative with Subject lines once again ...
>
>And Smith, the Sprint apologist won't admit. The coverage maps are
>worthless and hence the lawsuits and settlement.

$5 million contribution to education by a multi-billion industry?
Zippie do! The states sure didn't get much.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In <rmarkoff-E6BFD2.16142321072004@news3.west.earthlink.net> on Wed, 21 Jul
2004 21:14:23 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

>In article <40FEDC03.64512B90@ddress.com>, Notan <notan@ddress.com>
>wrote:
>
>> "Røbert M." wrote:

>> > And Smith, the Sprint apologist won't admit. The coverage maps are
>> > worthless and hence the lawsuits and settlement.
>> >
>> > Read the PDFs, not some lame story thats a cut and paste from a
>> > press release.
>> >
>> > http://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagNews/release.php?id=533
>>
>> Life, for you, at this point, probably won't get any better, what with
>> the phone companies having been found guilty... Isn't that what you've
>> lived for?
>>
>> I'd say it's a pretty good time for you to contemplate suicide.
>
>And this is supposed to excuse the cellular carriers, and their shills
>trying to spin this all into not meaningful?

It's not meaningful: $5 million isn't pocket change to cellular carriers.

>Sorry, I'll still be HERE for a while, enjoying my new PowerMac G5.

Are we supposed to be impressed by that? Sheesh.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In <rmarkoff-8FFF39.16401721072004@news3.west.earthlink.net> on Wed, 21 Jul
2004 21:40:18 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

>In article <spntf0d2vnaa93iue85mfkqsdf0feg5f8r@4ax.com>,
> Charles <Charles> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:14:23 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty>
>> wrote:

>> >Sorry, I'll still be HERE for a while, enjoying my new PowerMac G5.
>>
>> I am more sorry than you.

>You'd prefer carriers continue their dishonest ways?

I'd prefer to let the free market work.
Government intervention is a generally bad idea.
Since there is no monopoly here, intervention isn't warranted.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <osCLc.3512$54.48330@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> In <rmarkoff-65C6C4.16012321072004@news3.west.earthlink.net> on Wed, 21 Jul
> 2004 21:01:23 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:
>
> >In article <0ayLc.3469$54.48014@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> > John Navas <jnrelay1@sonic.net> wrote:
>
> >> In fact the carriers didn't "admit" to anything of the kind:
> >>
> >> 42. Carrier is entering into this Assurance solely for the purposes
> >> of settlement. Nothing contained in this Assurance may be taken as or
> >> construed to be an admission by Carrier or as evidence supporting any
> >> of the allegations raised by the Attorneys General, any matter of
> >> fact or law, any violation of state or federal law, or any other
> >> liability or wrongdoing whatsoever, including without limitation an
> >> admission by Carrier that any of its business practices are or have
> >> been unfair or deceptive, or violate or have violated any of the
> >> Consumer Statutes of any of the Participating States, all of which
> >> Carrier expressly denies.
> >
> >Of course thats what had to be agreed to to get a settlement.
>
> In other words, you were dishonest.

No its the current maps that are dishonest, and quit shilling for
Cingular.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <CuCLc.3513$54.48357@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> In <rmarkoff-9D3569.15580521072004@news3.west.earthlink.net> on Wed, 21 Jul
> 2004 20:58:05 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:
>
> >In article <JkyLc.10904$Qu5.4971@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
>
> > "Bob Smith" <usirsclt@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> >> And Phillipe gets more creative with Subject lines once again ...
> >
> >And Smith, the Sprint apologist won't admit. The coverage maps are
> >worthless and hence the lawsuits and settlement.
>
> $5 million contribution to education by a multi-billion industry?
> Zippie do! The states sure didn't get much.

We'll see what they get if Carriers think they can continue with current
worthless maps.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <CxCLc.3515$54.48603@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> In <rmarkoff-8FFF39.16401721072004@news3.west.earthlink.net> on Wed, 21 Jul
> 2004 21:40:18 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:
>
> >In article <spntf0d2vnaa93iue85mfkqsdf0feg5f8r@4ax.com>,
> > Charles <Charles> wrote:

> >> I am more sorry than you.
>
> >You'd prefer carriers continue their dishonest ways?
>
> I'd prefer to let the free market work.
> Government intervention is a generally bad idea.
> Since there is no monopoly here, intervention isn't warranted.

Yeah, stop inspected beef processing plants. Let the free market work.

Sheesh.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In <rmarkoff-7EC4DC.18245121072004@news3.west.earthlink.net> on Wed, 21 Jul
2004 23:24:51 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

>In article <osCLc.3512$54.48330@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> In <rmarkoff-65C6C4.16012321072004@news3.west.earthlink.net> on Wed, 21 Jul
>> 2004 21:01:23 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

>> >Of course thats what had to be agreed to to get a settlement.
>>
>> In other words, you were dishonest.
>
>No its the current maps that are dishonest,

You were dishonest. What others may or may not have done is irrelevant to
your conduct.

>and quit shilling for
>Cingular.

I don't "shill" for anyone.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In <rmarkoff-EE52AE.18253221072004@news3.west.earthlink.net> on Wed, 21 Jul
2004 23:25:33 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

>In article <CuCLc.3513$54.48357@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>> $5 million contribution to education by a multi-billion industry?
>> Zippie do! The states sure didn't get much.
>
>We'll see what they get if Carriers think they can continue with current
>worthless maps.

Forgive me for not holding my breath. This is all pretty meaningless.
Nothing for consumers that were claimed to have been hurt, and the $5 million
is less than 0.01% of industry revenues. [yawn]

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In <rmarkoff-5DD6B3.18262921072004@news3.west.earthlink.net> on Wed, 21 Jul
2004 23:26:30 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

>In article <CxCLc.3515$54.48603@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> In <rmarkoff-8FFF39.16401721072004@news3.west.earthlink.net> on Wed, 21 Jul
>> 2004 21:40:18 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

>> >You'd prefer carriers continue their dishonest ways?
>>
>> I'd prefer to let the free market work.
>> Government intervention is a generally bad idea.
>> Since there is no monopoly here, intervention isn't warranted.
>
>Yeah, stop inspected beef processing plants. Let the free market work.
>
>Sheesh.

The free market is in fact far more effective at policing food quality than
government regulation, which does a truly pathetic job, while wasting a
considerable amount of money. In other words, you need to come up with
something a *lot* better than that.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Of course, but the issue here is the false allegation in the Subject.