Sprits Touch Maveuver option

Hi, I promised an opponent I would get an "official" ruling from this
group regarding the Spirits Touch AUS optional maneuver.

In last week's game he attemtped to play the Spirits touch as a
maneuver card in a combat round.

Basing his claim that it has an optional maneuver for minions with AUS.

We suggested quite firmly that he was an idiot - but he insisted on
getting a final ruling on it...

*Please note that the card had not been played as part of the intercept
reaction that led to this combat.*

Deadthi...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi, I promised an opponent I would get an "official" ruling from this
> group regarding the Spirits Touch AUS optional maneuver.
>
> In last week's game he attemtped to play the Spirits touch as a
> maneuver card in a combat round.
>
> Basing his claim that it has an optional maneuver for minions with
AUS.

> We suggested quite firmly that he was an idiot - but he insisted on
> getting a final ruling on it...
>

> *Please note that the card had not been played as part of the
intercept
> reaction that led to this combat.*

Aside from the whole 'you only get the maneuver when you play it for
the intercept' problem:

Spirit's Touch is not a combat card, so it cannot be played during
combat.

(Compare to Swallowed by the Night, which is explicitly both a reaction
card (at basic for +1 stealth) and a combat card (for a maneuver at
superior).

-John Flournoy

Deadthi...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi, I promised an opponent I would get an "official" ruling from this
> group regarding the Spirits Touch AUS optional maneuver.
>
> In last week's game he attemtped to play the Spirits touch as a
> maneuver card in a combat round.
>
> Basing his claim that it has an optional maneuver for minions with
AUS.

> We suggested quite firmly that he was an idiot - but he insisted on
> getting a final ruling on it...
>

> *Please note that the card had not been played as part of the
intercept
> reaction that led to this combat.*

Aside from the whole 'you only get the maneuver when you play it for
the intercept' problem:

Spirit's Touch is not a combat card, so it cannot be played during
combat.

(Compare to Swallowed by the Night, which is explicitly both an action
modifier (at basic for +1 stealth) and a combat card (for a maneuver at
superior).

-John Flournoy

Deadthings@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi, I promised an opponent I would get an "official" ruling from this
> group regarding the Spirits Touch AUS optional maneuver.
>
> In last week's game he attemtped to play the Spirits touch as a
> maneuver card in a combat round.
>
> Basing his claim that it has an optional maneuver for minions with AUS.
>
> We suggested quite firmly that he was an idiot - but he insisted on
> getting a final ruling on it...
>

> *Please note that the card had not been played as part of the intercept
> reaction that led to this combat.*

He's wrong, you're right. The manuever is optional; the +1 intercept is
not. And you can't play intercept unless you need it (and you
definitely can't play it in combat).

See also: You can't play superior Hidden Strength just for the press, if
there's no damage to prevent.

--Colin McGuigan

On 13 Apr 2005 13:35:30 -0700, Deadthings@gmail.com wrote:

>Hi, I promised an opponent I would get an "official" ruling from this
>group regarding the Spirits Touch AUS optional maneuver.
>In last week's game he attemtped to play the Spirits touch as a
>maneuver card in a combat round.
>Basing his claim that it has an optional maneuver for minions with AUS.
>We suggested quite firmly that he was an idiot - but he insisted on
>getting a final ruling on it...

Show him the combat symbol.

Spirit's Touch does not have a combat symbol.

Spirit's Touch has a Reaction symbol on its upper left corner.

So you play Spirit's Touch when reacting, not during combat.

(it would need explicit text allowing one to play it during combat.
granting a maneuver is not that type of text).

>*Please note that the card had not been played as part of the intercept
>reaction that led to this combat.*

geez.

best,

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
Giovanni Newsletter Editor
V for Vendetta on the big screen!
http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/

John Flournoy wrote:
> Aside from the whole 'you only get the maneuver when you play it for
> the intercept' problem:
>
> Spirit's Touch is not a combat card, so it cannot be played during
> combat.
>
> (Compare to Swallowed by the Night, which is explicitly both a reaction
> card (at basic for +1 stealth) and a combat card (for a maneuver at
> superior).

Correct.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/