Square Enix Accidentally Releases Final Fantasy VII PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Nice that they bring back a classic, but... I wish they had polished the graphics a bit. I'm not sure if that screen-grab is from the upcoming game or from the original.

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
why not release say ff 13? i'm getting tired of re-hashes and re-makes and re-boots. can't anyone be original nowadays? yes, it's cheaper to slap hd graphics on an old engine. that doesn't mean you should. for the record, yes i bought both ff7 and ff8 when they came out for the pc many years ago. i still have the original discs! :p

square and nintendo both like to milk their classic games over and over again. i suppose as long as their are suckers in the world... :)

[citation][nom]PTNLemay[/nom]Nice that they bring back a classic, but... I wish they had polished the graphics a bit. I'm not sure if that screen-grab is from the upcoming game or from the original.[/citation]

I still play Doom and Doom II with the original graphics because that's how they were made. There's a certain quality to the art that just ages well

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]Pinhedd[/nom]I still play Doom and Doom II with the original graphics because that's how they were made. There's a certain quality to the art that just ages well[/citation]
And final fantasy 7 hasnt aged well. Cant believe people buy old games for 12$ just to get molested by drm. Good luck, you guys deserve all the dlc and drm bull**** that developers push out these days.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]notsleep[/nom]why not release say ff 13? i'm getting tired of re-hashes and re-makes and re-boots. can't anyone be original nowadays? yes, it's cheaper to slap hd graphics on an old engine. that doesn't mean you should. for the record, yes i bought both ff7 and ff8 when they came out for the pc many years ago. i still have the original discs! square and nintendo both like to milk their classic games over and over again. i suppose as long as their are suckers in the world...[/citation]

probably because 13 sucked, and would never make back the money it would take to port.

joe nate

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
They already made ff7 for the PC way back when. That's how I actually played it, as the last console system I bought was actually a SNES. Don't remember if it was a simultaneous release, but I know that's how I played it. I'd have more fun now playing it given I have gamepads that I play old school games on.

Hopefully if they re-release it, it'll have updated graphics or something - otherwise you can just use the old game without the silly DRM issues this one has.

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I hope they finish the game since it wasn't a completed game when it was released originally. And/or, I hope they add to it like Final Fantasy GBA version.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
lol people can mod a PC game into high graphic texture in a free community, if they re-release using back the old texture again....I am speechless.....

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]lol people can mod a PC game into high graphic texture in a free community, if they re-release using back the old texture again....I am speechless.....[/citation]
the comunity already made those mods, and some are really good

i think the only thing they did was rework the engine so it plays nice with a modern computer, im not 100% sure, but i know that they didnt change the core visuals at all, just the engine may play nice with win 7.

teamcarlisle

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
really!? They are putting DRM on a $12 re-release of an old game that isnt even getting a graphical overhaul. And i find it interesting that the article doesnt say wether or not the people that legitimately purchased the accidental release got their money back either. I remember the original Pc release wasnt much of an improvement over the playstation, mostly a slightly improved resolution, and (dont laugh) the characters actually got eyebrows since they could afford to add a few extra polygons. I remember it was specifically pointed out in an old review I read, I think it was in PC Gamer Magazine

heroictofu

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]probably because 13 sucked, and would never make back the money it would take to port.[/citation]
I'm going to disagree with this one, having just played through all of FFXIII. Sucks? No. Different? Very. Amazing story? Definitely.

The linearity is both a blessing and a curse. Honestly, I found it to be refreshing. Exploration is awesome most of the time, but sometimes it can distract from the story at hand. Many times have I become so involved in side stories and side quests that I eventually lost focus and got bored with the core gameplay. *shrug* And there -are- open areas in the game, you just have to get there.

G

FFXIII open areas = the last area of the game. Everything leading up to it was completely linear. Had a lot more of the game been like the big open area, it probably would have been more enjoyable. Then again, there was the issue of having characters that were generally considered unlikable, along with a story many people considered far from amazing. Yeah....it was different alright, and for being only the second main entry to the series in a 10 year period....it was VERY underwhelming and below expectations.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
FF7 and FF8 - are the ULTIMATE final fantasy games of all time - The Michael Jordans of FF games , I hope they remake them with HD graphics soon so I can replay them - Wich one do I like more? Even , But Cloud and Sephiroth became more popular. Both story lines are amazing- it went hard Down hill from there though

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I have FF7 on pc. Bought it years ago. Unfortunately it needs a really old video card to run correctly. It couldn't even run right on a GeForce 2 MX that I had because it was too new. I should try it again with a wrapper and see if that helps. Hope this new version isn't just a fixed up version of the old PC version.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Secu-ROM... well I'm passing on buying this and just going to download a Secu-ROM free version.

Also FF6 was the best Final Fantasy ever, 7 is the second... Anything before 6 was good and anything after 7 was just plain bad.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]joe nate[/nom]They already made ff7 for the PC way back when. That's how I actually played it, as the last console system I bought was actually a SNES. Don't remember if it was a simultaneous release, but I know that's how I played it. I'd have more fun now playing it given I have gamepads that I play old school games on.Hopefully if they re-release it, it'll have updated graphics or something - otherwise you can just use the old game without the silly DRM issues this one has.[/citation]
I have the original discs, manual, and guide for FF7 all for PC. Such a classic! I don't recall the original having DRM either. It came out a couple months after the PS1 version was released. It definitely was a better experience on PC due to shorter loading times. The new screenshot doesn't really show any graphical improvements over the original sadly. I think they missed a golden opportunity to remaster the game or at least revisit the game's world in a meaningful way.

Status
Not open for further replies.