Square Enix Showed Many Sequels And Some New IP At E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jferdog

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
"two characters who resemble Sora and Roxas"
Yeaaaaaah no. That's Xehanort and Eraqus in their youth.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Sigh. Open-world Hitman? Can we please stop converting games to open-world? More often than not, it just doesn't add anything. Just make "Blood Money 2" or something. That worked, and no one else is doing it.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
StarOcean a new IP? First StarOcean game has been release in 1993, it's one of the oldest Square franchise...
I was thinking the same thing about that statement from the article. Based on the description it sounds like the same series to me. The new game is even mentioned on the wiki for it, taken with a grain of salt of course.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Ocean

My mistake.
I did not catch anyone mention it being a remake or a squel in the presentation.
StarOcean is very new to me, so my apologies.

Thank you for pointing it out.

Probably just bribed the TSA for their records. ;)

rdc85

Honorable
"...The Final Fantasy 7 remake ....."

Yes, Finally, Hurayyy..

".... The game will feature a completely new universe from the rest of the stories.."

Heck no, wth... why changing such iconic game...
I doubt adding this and that will make it better, if not worse...

To this day I feel 7 is over hyped. I enjoyed it but I liked 6 much more. Felt like it was a more fun story to start with a much more disastrous outcome. Hell in the end no one really won. The planet was screwed from Kefka, people died and the Espers were pretty much gone.

Would much rather them do a full 3D remake of that with voices and release it on PC too.

rdc85

Honorable

More like fans things, so no logical explanation..

FF7 and Xenogears is first 2 game that really make make hook up,
before later start playing all the FF series....

to bad, there is no time frame about development/release schedule...

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
"...The Final Fantasy 7 remake ....."

Yes, Finally, Hurayyy..

".... The game will feature a completely new universe from the rest of the stories.."

Heck no, wth... why changing such iconic game...
I doubt adding this and that will make it better, if not worse...

You are getting FF7 Remake and WoFF mixed up, WoFF is the one with the new universe.

Perhaps, but VII is so much more well-known. FF VII was nearly a perfect storm. It had a big, sweeping story, detailed characters you actually cared about, and a very emotional, cinematic feel for how it was presented. The amount and quality of the FMV was very rare at the time. I'm not saying no previous game had any of that, but few mixed them all together. Then you add the stronger fifth-gen consoles coming out, video games starting to become "cool" in some regards, and a blooming Internet to really spread the word as it was getting released.

Consider how FF VIII was received. It had much the same treatment as VII: darker story and characters, better graphics and FMV integration, really engaging story, and great marketing. But it's never reached the same mystique as VII because it's hard to match that first "oh wow" moment ( and the Junction system pissed a lot of people off, I'm sure ). I'd say it wasn't until FF X that it happened again. And I think that's because you had a lot of similar situations as four years previous, namely a new console generation and incredible FMV that hadn't been seen much before.

A lot of games from the 90s deserve the HD remaster treatment: Mana and Chrono series, Legend of Dragoon, and others. The question is whether they would make money. Like FF VII, any remake would require starting mostly from scratch. None of the original assets would be usable except as concept material. You need completely new character models, renderers, levels, sound, voice, etc. That's a lot of work and money. As much as some of us like those games, are there enough people that would buy the game for it to make money? Then there's the worry of the inevitable backlash if the gaming community didn't feel the developer got it just right.

That said, XCOM did pretty well a few years ago, though it did simplify a lot of the original game.

rdc85

Honorable

Glad to hear that..

I wondering can developer use kickstarter type to fund the project, pre-order model.
u already got minimum number of consumer before starting the project.....

And then the quality issue, I'm agreed, a remake if not done right will bring the name down,
people kinda fanatic about this kind of stuff..

The fear that it'll ruins your great (est) work may turn off most of (original) developer...

I hope they will do Xenogears remake,...

Well they did a sort of HD revamp of 6 on Android/iOS and it has done pretty well. Most FF players I know think 6 was better than 7. But these are also people like myself who started with 1 and have played most all of them since then.

Just my opinion, I also wouldn't mind a FF8 remake.

Status
Not open for further replies.