square flickering graphical glitches

Shikhee

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015
Hi, I'm getting some weird graphical glitches occasionally. They're square shape and flicker, it happens in games, applications, and sometimes where nothing is running, just randomly on the desktop. When this problem first started I had an xfx 7870, currently on an r9 280x and still have it.

i5 3570k
asrock z77 pro 4
8Gb of crucial ram
r9 280 x (sapphire tri x)

I've had this problem through multiple gpu drivers, currently on Amd's beta drivers.

It's not a guarantee to happen either, I can run full furmark benchmarks without a single thing being out of place. But I can open a new browser window and these square shaped glitches just flicker. I can usually make it go away by just resizing the window, but they come back.

If i left out any critical info let me know.

Also sorry, I have no idea what category to put this under

I don't have a picture right now but it will show up on a screen cap, so If it happens again I'll get an example

theguyisback23

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Hello there,though im not expert my previous experience over AMD vs Nvidia is that Amd is better value for gaming but more graphical bugs due to later driver updates... Square bugs are happening either due to high Temperatute to Gpu's cpu ,high overclock to either cpu or memory,or the crazy rare situation where u have dust in your mobo pci-e slot,and so electric circuit is somewhat delayed and small cut off's are happening to pixels... Apart from that stuff i said, there is not an absolute test of your cpu buging or not in a software such as furmark,i always benchmark on games to see if there is anything wrong... and sometimes its a better factor for checking Glitches and bugs...
On the other hand im not expert neither i guarantee that this is the root of the problem or not.. i have literally washed my AMD 4670 Vga and put it after hairdried it in the pci-e,and had glitchy pixels even in BIOS boot up.. but they eventually worn out and the vga returned to normal in 3 days after the wash... I also tried updating drivers from like an example beta 6.3 to stable 6.0 and the problem was still occuring...
All in all check temps if you did not overclock it... and try downgrading drivers to stable ones ..maybe it will do the trick...
Best luck and hope to get ur problem solved!

Shikhee

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015
The only thing overclocked is my Cpu, @ 4.2 Ghz and it seems stable, if dropping it will fix it I'm all aboard.

The GPU, ram, etc are all factory clocked. Gpu maxes at about 70 celcius and cpu well below that.

I've been having this problem since like ccc 13. something, I'm not sure where to downgrade too

And I mentioned furmark because it's one of the most graphically demanding things I can do, I'll try dropping my cpu overclock a bit anyways and seeing if that helps.

theguyisback23

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Ahmm... i have 2 software that are supposed to choose the best driver for your current windows system version,mobo,and in general the best driver for all the hardware u got there...The freeware is the driver genius..the money solution is driver detective which is more efficient in finding the best hardware drivers... anyways they both are good options to give a try... Last but not least.. is your psu rated 80+? and if so is the wattage enough to provide power even in torture tests?

Shikhee

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015
PSU is a 650 watt 80+ gold seasonic

Will try those and see if it's a driver issue.

Driver genius professional found 1 issue. Intel chipset device software.

theguyisback23

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

well its a very good psu out there... i dont believe u have power issues....
maybe the intel driver is the real issue of this.. also you said you have your cpu overclocked...
if it is from hardware overclock(bios) make sure your GPU clock base is 100mhz and its not linked to go up with the cpu increaments... check it out and make sure it is at 100mhz and unlinked to CPU FSB stuff ..if u know what im saying

Shikhee

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015
You mean the cpu base clock? I didn't mess with the FSB at all, just the multiplier.

I managed to get a screen grab of the issue at hand, resizing the window then full screening and it went away completely, but it will come back.

http://i.imgur.com/lK2mVci.png

And cpu-z says the bus speed is 100.0 Mhz

theguyisback23

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

Sorry i thought you had a gigabyte mobo.. your mobo is asrock so probably it will have a setting of
cpu base clock rate 100 or host clock ovveride 100mhz(BCLK)
anyways CPuz says 100mhz so its right.... :/ and we didnt find the solution yet

Shikhee

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015
Could this be a mobo/ ram issue?

It's persisted through 2 gpu's so I'd like to think it's not that. I've also ran successful memtest86 as well.

CPU was fine through a 12 hour prime 95 run, etc.

I'm running out of culprits.

theguyisback23

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

I belive i went a lot off-topic... But Maybe the only fault is the gpu is faulty from factory and needs replacement if it has warranty...i reccomend you plug it in on someone elses desktop..like a friend's of yours and see if he has the same issue..
Apart from that im out of ideas too..anyways i totally believe its a gpu related issue.. maybe check your vga cable on the back of your case and underneath your monitor for unscrewed screws or not fully spinned and stuff like not balanced plug placement..

Shikhee

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015
Could it be that it was just clocked too high from the factory? This issue is what made me change my GPU in the first place. I had the exact same issue running an xfx 7870 as I do this 280x

I'm not really adept at gpu's so if's clocked badly I wouldn't really know. But the GPU clock is 1100 and memory clock is 1600.

theguyisback23

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
JavaScript:

No its not from factory that o/c is too much...maybe switch your CPU's paste?? :p its cheap to even buy new thermal paste a good brand like arctic cooling thermal compound.. the Gpu is alright then ... Im out of my brain :/ i dont know man what else is wrong with your system... resemble every piece of hardware and reset bios..? maybe