Square root application

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
pi = 3.141592
root 2 + root 3 = 3.14626 etc

the answers are the same to 2dp, so any calculation that does not ned to be precise could use it as a substitution, but in pythag the minute decimal places can affect results. (since there are 57.2958 degrees to a radian - which is 4 decimal places NOT 2) it is therefore benificial to have at least a 5 dp accuracy with all calculations (eg at least 1 more dp than the required answer format).

many people will tell you different things. I would not use root 2 plus root 3 due to the fact that many calculators will not compute the input.

Aug 2, 2018

Makes good sense for our needs today. So, anciently, when 2 to 3 dp was about as accurate as was needed, the application of root 2 + root 3, or 3.14626, would have sufficed and been more accurate than the Babylonians at 3.125 or the Egyptians at 3.1605. I just can't identify in the literature any use of the root 2 + root 3 formula being used as a solution. If you have seen anything, please let me know.

The older way that was taught was simply 22/7 (3.14285), which is closer to 3.14159 than the sum of root 2 plus root 3 (3.14626), is closer to PI than 3.14, and lot easier to remember.

Five decimal places ought to be enough for general purposes - https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/how-much-pi-do-you-need/

If you were building a fence around a giant circular swimming pool with a radius of 100 meters and used that approximation to estimate the amount of fencing you would need, you would be half a millimeter short. Half a millimeter is tiny compared with the total fence length, 628.3185 meters. Being within half a millimeter is surely sufficient, and the tools you are using to make the fence probably introduce more uncertainty into your structure than your approximation of pi.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS