SRT with this hard drive

jb1185

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
hi peoples im currently building a new z68/ i5 2500k system for producing music mainly and some gaming etc so i wanted a quiet hard drive so ive bought a 1tb wd caviar green 6 gb/s 64mb cache (WD10EARX) and i was wondering if this would work well in partnership with a small ssd using smart response tech . Plus does the new sata 6 give any boost in performance compared to sata 2, any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks all - jb

SATA III (6 Gb/s) has no advantage over SATA II (3 Gb/s) for spinning-platter drives. None of them can saturate the SATA II interface.

Tom's did an article on SRT effects with various sizes of SSD recently. I'm feeling too lazy to look it up and give you a link; I suggest that you search for it in the articles and see what they have to say. They did find an advantage with SRT, but I don't remember if it was small or large.

jb1185

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
thanks WyomingKnott i couldnt find the article you mentioned but after some research it looks like i could gain quite a big performance boost with srt , even with a wd caviar green drive i just need to pick a small ssd now lol thanks - jb