SrtTrail.txt after clean install of Windows 8.1

ajpogi1300

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
Hi.

A couple of days ago, my PC (Windows 10) crashed and it said it was related to SrtTrail.txt. After hours of looking online and doing the CMD exe on startup recovery, I gave up decided to clean install my old Windows 8.1. I needed to connect to the wifi so I installed some drivers before it prompted me to restart then I installed some more drivers then restarted again. Lo and behold, it won't load and it showed the same problem again.

The things I did before the 1st restart:
Installed motherboard drivers (LAN, Realtek Audio, SATA, Chipset)

Things I did before the 2nd restart
1.Installed Netgear A6210 (USB Wifi) Driver

2. Changed Virtual Memory from Automatic to Custom (2gb to 32gb. I was preparing to back-up my PC so I can upgrade to Win 10. I was watching some youtube video.)

3. I guess, the PC also detected that I was using Razer products and asked me to intall the software but I declined

My set up is:
Processor: Intel i7-4790k
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 780 ti
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Vii HERO
Hard disk: Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series
Disk Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST

PS: I have 1 more SSD and 5TB HDD but it was not connect since before the clean install because I was afraid it might mess up the installation of the OS again like it did last time.

Thank you!

Solution
When you re-installed Windows the last time did you fully clear the drive first? There are a couple of small partitions on a modern Windows install that contain system files. A problem like this could be caused by a corrupt file here. Those little partitions should be deleted and re-created if you haven't already
Can you post the exact full text of the error and where it appears (just post a picture of it if that's no problem)

This sounds a bit odd since .txt is an extension for a basic text file. Executable and/or system files typically have extensions like .dll or .inf

From a quick google search I'm seeing results just telling you that a log file of the error is stored in a file with that name. If you can find that file and post the contents that would be more helpful.

ajpogi1300

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014

It says C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt. The OS won't load. It gets stuck on the Windows logo and then restarts. I'll try to check using the Safe Mode

ajpogi1300

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014

I'm not sure. I didn't see anything but it could be possible the moment my PC connected to the internet.
I'll check the thread in a bit. For now, I' m reinstalling the windows 8.1 but I won't update any of the drivers especially the wifi. I'll directly upgrade it to Win 10 using a bootable usb.

Edit:
I only have a laptop so I don't have a another setup to plug in the SSD

ajpogi1300

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014

I have no idea. :??:
I got pissed off so I reinstalled the OS Win 8.1 for the 2nd time then immediately upgraded to Win 10. I only installed the Netgear driver so I can activate my windows. I was able to upgrade the OS but before I was able to make a recovery image and update the drivers, it crashed again.

ajpogi1300

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014

UPDATE:
I was able to install Win 8 then Upgrade to Win 10 but I had to update the Netgear driver so I can upgrade smoothly. I was gonna make a backup before updating the drivers so I know which causes it but it crashed again.

Well it sounds like the crashes are occurring with increasing frequency over time and we've ruled out software thanks to the multiple re-installs. Let's run some diagnostics. Memtest for RAM and Seatools (DOS version, so it runs from it's own boot disk) for the storage. Each of those can be put on a blank disk you can boot from.

ajpogi1300

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014

Ok. I'm doing Memtest right now. Didn't know this could take a while and since I have 16gb of memory kinda like a double whammy. How many passes do I have to do or does it stops after it completes? I'm using the Memtest v5.01
For the Seatool, I'm assuming I need to connect all my disk drives?

I apologize for sounding so dumb lol . Don't know much about computers but I kinda know how to look for answers . At this point I'm ready to throw in the towel and just bring it to technicians but this is a good learning experience. Thanks for all the help so far.

ajpogi1300

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014

There was no error found after the Memtest. All Disk drives have 100% pass rate too. So what now? :)

ajpogi1300

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014

Still nothing.It initially gave me "CPU Fan Error" after resetting BIOS to default so I just changed that one again then reboot. Still nothing.

When you re-installed Windows the last time did you fully clear the drive first? There are a couple of small partitions on a modern Windows install that contain system files. A problem like this could be caused by a corrupt file here. Those little partitions should be deleted and re-created if you haven't already

Solution