SRV records missing!!

Hi!

I am a running Win2k server and domain.
Now we are going to change to a new server with Windows server 2003.
During dcpromo a get errors about SRV records missing..
And when i look in the 2000 dns they are missing..
I have tried all things a have found.. in ms kb´s and so on
Nothing helps... can i manually type this records in the DNS or what can i do?

Please.. respond as soon as possible......

domain is localemak.se so, it is not the "single" type,...

--
Best Regards

Niklas Banck

In news:C311A3EB-059F-4A47-A508-B474E2D1BE07@microsoft.com,
Niklas Banck <NiklasBanck@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi!
>
> I am a running Win2k server and domain.
> Now we are going to change to a new server with Windows
> server 2003.
> During dcpromo a get errors about SRV records missing..
> And when i look in the 2000 dns they are missing..
> I have tried all things a have found.. in ms kb´s and so
> on
> Nothing helps... can i manually type this records in the
> DNS or what can i do?
>
> Please.. respond as soon as possible......
>
> domain is localemak.se so, it is not the "single" type,...

Does the DC have a disjointed name space (Primary DNS suffix does not match
the AD domain name)?

Is the DC using its own address for DNS?
Dynamic updates allowed on the zone?

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Hi!

I found the problem... Like always.. there is problems when u not self
installed domains... and so on.. =)

I think they made a child domain... when they upgraded from nt4... and then
they live in the child now.. and the root domain.. isn´t there more.. i don´t
understand this.. but anyway, there was som kind of disjointed name space
..... very stange this.. and now it will go on beein strange.. on the new
dc.....

In news:A81B3FEF-F652-40EA-BA8C-EDA75DE888AC@microsoft.com,
Niklas Banck <NiklasBanck@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi!
>
> I found the problem... Like always.. there is problems
> when u not self installed domains... and so on.. =)
>
> I think they made a child domain... when they upgraded
> from nt4... and then they live in the child now.. and the
> root domain.. isn´t there more.. i don´t understand
> this.. but anyway, there was som kind of disjointed name
> space .... very stange this.. and now it will go on beein
> strange.. on the new dc.....

I don't think I'll ever understand what you just said. There is not one
complete sentence or bit of data to clarify your situation.
I can help you if it is a disjointed namespace. You need to post your
ipconfig /all, the AD Domain name from AD Users & Computers, and the list of
forward lookup zones in DNS.(3 items total)

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ML330G3
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : EMAK
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : EMAK

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : HP NC7760 Gigabit Server Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-85-D5-4F-6C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.200.25

AD domain name is EMAK. not localemak.se that it seems to be on the origin DC.
I was not able to add my new domain controller to another domain than EMAK.

Forward lookup zones is emak and localemak.se

In localemak.se i added my new dc.. "ml330g3.localemak.se..."
Then replication started to work..i think... and i also added emak as a
forward zone.. cause it was missing..
after that the SRV records became visable in emak forward zone...

This is a real mess.. but anyway it´s working now... my chief didn´t wanna
make a new domain...
And here we stand..!

In news:08767C8F-C77C-4144-8673-DEF858DD2081@microsoft.com,
Niklas Banck <NiklasBanck@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Windows IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ML330G3
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : EMAK
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
> DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : EMAK
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : HP NC7760 Gigabit
> Server Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
> 00-11-85-D5-4F-6C DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . :
> No IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.200.25
> Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.200.25
>
> AD domain name is EMAK. not localemak.se that it seems to
> be on the origin DC. I was not able to add my new domain
> controller to another domain than EMAK.
>
> Forward lookup zones is emak and localemak.se
>
> In localemak.se i added my new dc..
> "ml330g3.localemak.se..."
> Then replication started to work..i think... and i also
> added emak as a forward zone.. cause it was missing..
> after that the SRV records became visable in emak forward
> zone...
>
> This is a real mess.. but anyway it´s working now... my
> chief didn´t wanna make a new domain...
> And here we stand..!

The domain name EMAK is a single-label domain name, it requires registry
entries be made on all member clients and DCs.
826743 - Clients cannot dynamically register DNS records in a single-label
forward lookup zone:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=826743&sd=RMVP