Question Ssd’s and performance

Sep 21, 2022
I have a general question about how the amount of SSD you have affects their performance. I currently have two M.2 drives and recently ordered three SATA SSDs. In the manual it’s shows it switching between m.2 and SATA on the PCH controller so if I were to fill up all the SATA slots am I going to take a hit on performance?

Motherboard is MSI Z490 gaming edge.

One of the M.2 probably shares an SATA port. So, if you have an M.2 in that slot. The corresponding SATA port will be disabled.

As for performance. There's no real impact of more drives. If you tried to read from all the SATA drives simultaneously. The controller probably couldn't keep up.

For the M.2. One probably has a dedicated four lanes to the CPU. The other probably shares four lanes with a bunch of other devices on the chipset. They aren't going to take away from each other.

In realistic usage. You aren't going to be reading and writing to all of them at the same time. You aren't going to run into something where all are going and filling their pipelines. To the point where your motherboard is the limiting factor.

Even for a pro user that would be tough to do. I think only a really active data server might do that. But a consumer motherboard wouldn't offer the PCI-e lanes for the necessary network cards to accomplish that. At which point you'd be using a 40+ lane motherboard. Which could easily handle all that data.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
Just curious what you do with your computer that you feel requires 5 drives to accomplish ?

Yea I get having the OS on 1 drive, file storage on the 2nd one, and a 3rd one for back-ups, and perhaps a 4th one if you use apps that need a fast scratch disk, like Photoshop or CAD apps....

If you could please enlighten us perhaps we could offer some more useful insights :)

And FYI, g4 is essentially correct in what he/she said about the ports & general performance....

TRENDING THREADS