SSD 120GB-Vertex2 or G.Skill Pro

fthy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Hi all,
Upgrading to Win 7 ultimate 64bits (clean install )with my current setup (see sig pls) and would like to have a SSD as my OS/Application drive.

Appreciate if i can get some comments/advice.
1)Would my system be able to handle a SSD (read something like TRIM, AHCI)? Not sure if my mobo support AHCI :(
2)Do i need extra RAM?
3)OCZ Vertex 2(~$234.99 shipped) or G.Skill Phoenix Pro ($249.98 shipped)or any other suggestion?
Cost wise would not be much of a differece as i have a $30 gift cert for Amazon.com.
http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-Vertex-2-5-Inch-OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G/dp/B003NE5JCO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231378

Any advice/comments/susgestions will be greatly appreciated.
(Newegg promo ends in 14 hrs :( )

Thx in advance!!

Solution
Actually after getting an X25 M 80gb, I find that they're really not that hard to set up. There's a few things you should change. If you get an Intel SSD there's a toolbox which will automatically optimize most of the important things. The changes I made was to disable prefetch, superfetch, and restore points. I then set my backup on the HDDs, as well as file paging. That's about it. Since I'm using a RAID setup for my HDDs I also needed the newer Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers to still have TRIM, but that's not a universal scenario. If you don't use RAID, the AHCI drivers will automatically do it (in Windows 7). Basically all the Gen 2 SSDs are like this, so they've come a long way from the 1st gen that needed periodic...
Windows 7 supports TRIM. SSDs work in IDE or ACHI. Of course with AHCI you get native TRIM support, but even without it you can just do a monthly "clean" running a tool and get pretty much the same effect.

RAM doesn't matter. Just think of an SSD like a HDD.

They should both perform similarily as they both use Sandforce 1200 controller. Just look at a couple reviews, I guess, to see if either has any issues.

ggrego

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010

Your system will handle either of the SSD's just fine.

You should be able to run just fine with the ram you have.

I have purchased and installed both of the drives you are talking about just recently and
I would give the edge to the Vertex-2 over the Phoenix Pro.

ggrego

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Check out the new Sata III 6gb WD1002FAEX it's a real screamer I just bought one
of those too. Also spend some time looking into the drawbacks on SSD's they still
have some issues and they are a bitch to get running at full speed. They are not
plug and play. Good luck on your build.

ggrego

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Oh one other thing I wanted to tell you about is the Size of the drives. My Vertex 2
was a 60gb and formated to a full 60gb, while the Gskill Pro 120 formated to 111gb.

fthy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009

That is exactly why im getting a HDD instead.

Thx again ggrego.

Actually after getting an X25 M 80gb, I find that they're really not that hard to set up. There's a few things you should change. If you get an Intel SSD there's a toolbox which will automatically optimize most of the important things. The changes I made was to disable prefetch, superfetch, and restore points. I then set my backup on the HDDs, as well as file paging. That's about it. Since I'm using a RAID setup for my HDDs I also needed the newer Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers to still have TRIM, but that's not a universal scenario. If you don't use RAID, the AHCI drivers will automatically do it (in Windows 7). Basically all the Gen 2 SSDs are like this, so they've come a long way from the 1st gen that needed periodic cleaning. The Corsair Force, Mushkin Callisto Deluxe, OCZ Agility 2 and Vertex 2, Patriot Inferno are all good SSDs with significant improvements over first gen.

But yeah, it is a bit overwhelming and an HDD is super simple and cheaper. Good luck with everything :D

Solution