Question SSD 860 EVO

acaciusx

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Which motherboard do you have?
Your read speeds look fine, but the write speeds are a bit low...especially the Seq write speed. It should be above 500MB/s
it is an Asrock x470 taichi

the windows is on it, and some games, and as i said its brand new,
im new to testing ssds so id love to know what are my options, any more testing required? or should i look for specific options or what not,

would love to be in touch and get some help if possible,

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
Τhe write speeds are fine.

The issue is that the SSD the OP is testing has got windows on it. Windows is writing on the disk it's installed on constantly thus the write speeds of the windows drive suffer if benchmarked.

Benchmarks on the internet are always done on drives that don't have windows installed on them.

acaciusx

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Τhe write speeds are fine.

The issue is that the SSD the OP is testing has got windows on it. Windows is writing on the disk it's installed on constantly thus the write speeds of the windows drive suffer if benchmarked.

Benchmarks on the internet are always done on drives that don't have windows installed on them.
thanks for the reply, its exactly what i thought could effect it and i guess thats why i noted it,
so basically in order to get the real possible writing speed id have to install windows on other drive and then test it...

another question if were already here,
i just got another ssd faster one, 960 pro nvme 512 gb

2 questions: i placed him on the gen3 pcie4( that is near the cpu)
if i would put him on the other m.2 i got, will it work slower?, as it is a gen 2 vs gen 3.
and if i were to buy another, for raid do i have to have same size 512? or a 256 will do the trick as well.

also, if u were me guys, would u put the windows on the faster 1? or the 860 evo is just fine( i simply had the thought of having a clean ssd only for games with nothing else)

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
1: As you said, the other slot is Gen2 which is going to be slower then the 1st slot.

2: Raid 1 drives should be the same size
Raid 0 drives technically can be different size but you end up getting a total capacity of 2xthe size of the smaller drive
So a 256 +512 in R0 gives you 512GB total with 256 going to waste.
Best practice is to use drives of the same size.

860 evo is fine unless you really really want to see your pc boot up 1 second faster. I would use the NVME drive for games myself. Windows is more likely to be fast booting or recovering from sleep, gaining you extremely little load times since these are already super fast, rather then booting from scratch. Win 8 & 10 don't actually shut down, they go into a hybrid sleep...

TRENDING THREADS