[SOLVED] SSD add in card vs m.2 + pcie adapter

pahbi

Honorable
Mar 27, 2015
Besides price, what differences are there between using a SSD add in card (ex: intel optane) and using a m.2 + pcie adapter?

Thanks,
- P

Solution
For instance, the Intel 905p Optane.
Goes in a PCIe slot, hugely fast.
But at $1200 for 1TB, hugely expensive
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...tane-ssd-9-series/optane-ssd-905p-series.html

A Samsung 970 EVO in a PCIe adapter, in the proper system, would also see its full native speed.
Slower than that 905p, but much much less expensive per GB.

In a native M.2 port on a relevant motherboard, it would also see its full native speed. No 'adapter' needed.

pahbi

Honorable
Mar 27, 2015
Not exactly sure how to be more specific.

Add in card (example intel optane)

vs

m.2 in a pcie adapter card

What other specifics are you looking for?

- P

popatim

Titan
Actual NVME M.2 drives have quite a range of performance topping out at around 3300MB/s sequential for pcie3 based slots.

Add-in cards also have quite a range of performance but are not limited to 4 pcie lanes like M2 slots are so you can have some that are superior to an M2 drive. Sadly they are priced accordingly and cost several thousand dollars (new). Samsung has a PCIE4x8card almost ready for release but no pricing on it is available yet.

pahbi

Honorable
Mar 27, 2015
The whole rest of the system.
What other drives are in this?
What do you use this system for?

There are two different technologies labeled "Optane".
The small 16 or 32GB cache drives which you pair with an HDD, and the larger, far more expensive, actual drives.

Why would any of that information even be remotely useful to the original question?

Using a m.2 ssd with a pcie adapter appears to me to be a slower DIY version of a SSD add in card.

I was just trying to see what other pros and cons that I should think about.

Anyways, don't worry about it, my English isn't as good as it should be i guess.

- P

Those matter a lot.

Depending on what components are in the system, you may not be able to use some of these drives with full functionality. Ex booting from PCIe.
If you use this system for nothing too SSD demanding, you may not notice a difference.

Personally, I would just use either an M.2 NVME ssd in an M.2 slot or a standard Sata SSd. For many uses, there will be no percievable difference between a sata ssd, and NVME in any adapter.

USAFRet

Titan
Pros and cons of different configurations can depend on a lot of other things.

For instance, in my system, an Intel 660p in a PCIe adapter card sees its full performance.
If I were to put that in the M.2 port, it would disable 2x SATA ports, and get reduced performance.

Other systems might have other considerations.

And Optane is a whole other thing.

USAFRet

Titan
For instance, the Intel 905p Optane.
Goes in a PCIe slot, hugely fast.
But at $1200 for 1TB, hugely expensive
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...tane-ssd-9-series/optane-ssd-905p-series.html

A Samsung 970 EVO in a PCIe adapter, in the proper system, would also see its full native speed.
Slower than that 905p, but much much less expensive per GB.

In a native M.2 port on a relevant motherboard, it would also see its full native speed. No 'adapter' needed.

Solution