ssd addon , 2nd drive, win 10

danieloo2

Commendable
May 6, 2016
i have a hdd that has win 10 on it, im buying an m.2ssd 250gb and will be adding it into my laptop in a few weeks so i will have 2 drives in it.

i want win 10 to be on the ssd , do i just do a re install of win 10 and should ask me where to install it again and i can choose the ssd? then once installed do i need to go into the bios to change where win 10 will boot from which is the ssd? and once that is done, can i just go and reformat my hdd afterwards and everything would be good to go? as i want to keep that hdd also for storage wise and for certain programs that i do not care that it loads faster or not. plus its already installed in my laptop.

Solution
i think it can be tricky to get win 10 onto an M.2 drive.

I would recommend removing hdd when it came time to install win 10 on ssd as it reduces chance of wrong drive being installed to. Then add it afterwards, may need to run partitioning software on it to delete old c drive as windows won't want to do that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i think it can be tricky to get win 10 onto an M.2 drive.

I would recommend removing hdd when it came time to install win 10 on ssd as it reduces chance of wrong drive being installed to. Then add it afterwards, may need to run partitioning software on it to delete old c drive as windows won't want to do that.

Solution