SSD Advice Needed!

Jake Oliver

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
I'm thinking of buying an SSD to go in my PC. I had originally been put off getting one due to their small storage sizes but now it seems like a good idea after all.

I know that the KINGSTON HYPERX 3K is better to get than the KINGSTON V310 SSD, but that only goes up to 480GB. However the Samsung 840 EVO has a 1TB model and I know there were issues with the 840 EVO model but I've seen that there is a firmware fix for this now.

So my question is whether this means it's safe to buy a 840 EVO now, or should I get a HYPERX 3K instead? I just don't like the idea of having a 480GB drive as compared to the 1TB.

Solution

A 250GB 840 EVO will work perfectly. Just don't have every game installed on that drive.

galactigus

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Space is what HDD's are for just install your OS to the SSD and drop in a nice big HDD
Very good deal on this intel 120gb for less than their 60gb version and the speeds and reliability are great I watched Linus from tech tips shoot this thing at a basketball goal put it in a laptop and it still worked.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VCP7NQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
you'll get more money for the GB with an HDD and SSD combo but if your still looking to go with just an SSD and you have the money again the Intel, Samsung, and Kingston would be the way to go in order from best to worse.

USAFRet

Titan
Will this be the only drive in the system?
If so, the 1TB is probably needed.

I have both a HyperX 3k (120GB), and 2 x 840 EVO 250GB.
The Kingston is 2.5 yrs old, zero issues. The EVO's are only a few weeks old. Buying today, I'd get the 840 EVO over the HyperX 3K.

Jake Oliver

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
I already have a 2TB HDD I was just interested in getting an SSD as well to put Games, OS and Apps on.

So I would be okay getting a smaller drive then? Just with games getting bigger I'm worrying about my SSD filling up very quickly!

USAFRet

Titan

A 250GB 840 EVO will work perfectly. Just don't have every game installed on that drive.

Solution

Jake Oliver

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014

Okay, thank you very much! :)

galactigus

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Your games will basically run just as well on an HDD as an SSD I would just go with a 7200 rpm drive with 64mb cache. Just make sure when installing games you install them onto the right drive when that little install to location box pops up.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Where you get that idea I cannot imagine, because it's total nonsense. SSDs improve loading times, reduce stutter, etc.
Helps a lot for numerous games, even on systems which only have SATA2. My brother's P55 PC had a 1TB 7200, I replaced
it with an 840 250GB, cut the loading time for his favourite game from 2.5 mins to less than 20 seconds, removed the
in-game stutter entirely.

I've tested more than 40 SSDs, the differences are clear.

Ian.