[SOLVED] SSD Advice

Sep 24, 2019
Are these SSD’s good?
And what‘s the best of them? I have an RTX 2080 Ti and an i9-9900k, they have to fit in an MSI MEG Z390 ACE...

• TEAMGROUP MP32 M.2 PCIe SSD
  • TEAMGROUP MP33 M.2 PCIe SSD
  • TEAMGROUP MP34 M.2 PCIe SSD

Solution
the 970 Pro has significant write performance boost under heavy write conditions. The Evo have a limited cache space which provides the high speed writes. When the cache is full the drive drops to it's native speed, about 1800mb/s, which is still excellent.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13761/the-samsung-970-evo-plus-ssd-review/2

The Pro can write to nearly the entire drive at full speed. It is recommended for professional who might write these very large sized files.
D

Deleted member 14196

Off brand. Not recommended. Get a Samsung or Crucial SSD instead

I don’t recommend anything but Samsung and Crucial SSDs. Period.

Reactions: King_V
Are these SSD’s good?
And what‘s the best of them? I have an RTX 2080 Ti and an i9-9900k, they have to fit in an MSI MEG Z390 ACE...

• TEAMGROUP MP32 M.2 PCIe SSD
  • TEAMGROUP MP33 M.2 PCIe SSD
  • TEAMGROUP MP34 M.2 PCIe SSD
I heard about them, they are not the strongest performer, NVME but most of the time behaves like sata drive.
only the top one was worth something,
here's review.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14331/the-team-group-mp34-512gb-ssd-review/2
If its not more then 10$ over sata, then take it, if not:
MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro (512GB)
costs around the same and gives much more consistent performance.
OR
HP SSD EX920 (256GB) (one that I use, very solid experience)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Crucial P1 is about as good as it gets for more budget oriented NVMe. You'd need to move upto WD Black or Samsung to get better, and even then the difference isn't noticeable as they operate above what the pc can use, especially gaming. You are looking at nano-seconds worth of speeds differences in small file transfers.

Sep 24, 2019
Some suggested the Samsung 970 EVO, the Samsung 970 EVO Plus and the Samsung 970 Pro ... what's the difference?

Or should i go with the Intel 660p?

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
Some suggested the Samsung 970 EVO, the Samsung 970 EVO Plus and the Samsung 970 Pro ... what's the difference?
Not a whole lot that the average user would notice, the more expensive ones like the Pro drives have slightly better performance under heavy use. But it's not likely that your going to notice the difference under normal everyday use. My recommendation is the 970 Evo which is half the price of the Pro drive and just as fast for normal use.

popatim

Titan
the 970 Pro has significant write performance boost under heavy write conditions. The Evo have a limited cache space which provides the high speed writes. When the cache is full the drive drops to it's native speed, about 1800mb/s, which is still excellent.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13761/the-samsung-970-evo-plus-ssd-review/2

The Pro can write to nearly the entire drive at full speed. It is recommended for professional who might write these very large sized files.

Solution
So.. Samsung 970 EVO or Intel 660p?
If you are gaming and can get more capacity for the money by going 660p, then do it. You aren't going to notice a difference in load times gaming, but you will notice the difference when you run out of space because your stream library is taking up all the "real-estate". However if you do productivity work, going with the higher end nvme is now justified due to the amount of called read and wrights on a continuous basis. With gaming all you do is read to memory after you've written to install the game.

Reactions: King_V

rforce

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
While all important data should be backed up, irrespective of what it is stored on, the reason I really push it with SSDs is becasue people are naturally lazy and think that SSDs are invincible. Meanwhile, on a spinner, a deleted file can usually be recovered while that same file will be overwritten with zeros almost instantly on an SSD.