[SOLVED] SSD Always shows in BIOS, rarely shows in windows.

Nov 19, 2021
I am having trouble with my SSD showing in windows. It always shows in the BIOS but wont appear in disk mgmt after booting into windows. Sometimes it will pop up when I hot plug it. Then if I restart or shut down, sometimes it will stay, but most of the time it disappears again. I honestly can't figure out a rhyme or reason.

Things I have tried:
Using a different SATA cable
Using 4 Different SATA ports
Uninstalling the Standard SATA AHCI Controller device in device manager.
Manually updating the driver using "let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" to Standard SATA AHCI Controller. (This one causes the Drive to appear)
Checking drive firmware and SMART with Samsung Magician
Reformatting the drive using elevated command prompt
Disabled fast start in BIOS
Restarted Plug & Play service

These are my system specs http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Ic0eNAQAUZTd2Onw7jsKl23

Last edited:
I am having trouble with my SSD showing in windows. It always shows in the BIOS but wont appear in disk mgmt after booting into windows. Sometimes it will pop up when I hot plug it. Then if I restart or shut down, sometimes it will stay, but most of the time it disappears again. I honestly can't figure out a rhyme or reason.

Things I have tried:
Using a different SATA cable
Using 4 Different SATA ports
Uninstalling the Standard SATA AHCI Controller device in device manager.
Manually updating the driver using "let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" to Standard SATA AHCI Controller. (This one caused the Drive to appear)
Checking drive firmware and SMART with Samsung Magician
Reformatting the drive using elevated command prompt
Disabled fast start in BIOS
Restarted Plug & Play service

These are my system specs http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Ic0eNAQAUZTd2Onw7jsKl23
Do you the latest chipset and management engine driver?

Is there some reason you have hyperthreading disabled?

Nov 19, 2021
Do you the latest chipset and management engine driver?

Is there some reason you have hyperthreading disabled?
Yes I have the latest version of both drivers. And I do have hyperthreading enabled, im not sure why it says that on speccy. Maybe because P-cores/E-cores?

NumberOfCores=10
NumberOfLogicalProcessors=16

Nov 19, 2021
Does task manager show 10 and 16?
Yes it does.

So far the only way I have been able to consistently force the drive to appear is manually updating the SATA AHCI Controller driver using "let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" to Standard SATA AHCI Controller. Then when I shut down or restart I have to do it again.

I tried disabling the Group Policy to prevent automatic driver installation for a particular hardware ID but that didn't work either.

Yes it does.

So far the only way I have been able to consistently force the drive to appear is manually updating the SATA AHCI Controller driver using "let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" to Standard SATA AHCI Controller. Then when I shut down or restart I have to do it again.

I tried disabling the Group Policy to prevent automatic driver installation for a particular hardware ID but that didn't work either.
Over my head.
You need someone who gets deeper into the OS than I do.

Just curious do you have the irst driver installed?

Nov 19, 2021
Over my head.
You need someone who gets deeper into the OS than I do.

Just curious do you have the irst driver installed?
No I don't. If download it from my mobo website and try to install it says "You are trying to install this software on an unsupported platform. Please contact your platform manufacturer or vendor for the proper software for your platform."
On Intel's download page I don't see any RST driver for 12th gen platforms.

Last edited:
No I don't. If download it from my mobo website and try to install it says "You are trying to install this software on an unsupported platform. Please contact your platform manufacturer or vendor for the proper software for your platform."
On Intel's download page I don't see any RST driver for 12th gen platforms.
Just a wag.
Is the sata mode in the bios set to ahci or raid?