SSD and Hard Drive Freeze up

aheuer6

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
I just installed a PNY CS1311 240GB SSD and a new power supply into my system. I did a clean install of Windows 10 onto the SSD. It runs faster than my mechanical hard drive for sure, but occasionally task manager will show that it is at 100% active time, and my system will freeze up. I can move the mouse, and switch between windows that are open, but I cannot type, or open and close windows.

I've been installing updates to windows 10 as they become available, but there hasn't been any change. I've also tried switching my SATA controller from AHCI to IDE as suggested elsewhere on the internet, but that causes windows to fail the boot process.

I've tried opening resource manager to see which process is hogging the disk, but as soon as the system "freezes", resource monitor freezes as well, giving me no useful information.

This is the best picture I've been able to get so far:
Task Manager photo

Task Manager stays active but Resource Manager freezes.
Also, the same thing has happened on a mechanical hard drive that I also have in my system, but only once, as opposed to the several times per day that the SSD freezes up the system

I'm at a loss as to what might be causing this issue. Is it possible that the power supply I installed is causing this issue, or is my SSD faulty somehow?

Solution
No, man. Intel or AMD. What's your CPU and MB?

EDIT: This is about the controller on your motherboard, not teh SSD itself.
Also, don;t always trust what device manager tells you. You have teh latest generic drivers. And that's the problem

aheuer6

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

I've checked device manager, and it says windows has installed the latest drivers for it. I've looked on the PNY website, and I couldn't find any drivers, but I did find a firmware upgrade, but mine was already up-to-date. I looked on AMD's website, but all the drivers I found are for graphics products.

I don't really want to load optimized defaults in the BIOS because I have a stable overclock already dialed in, and I never had any problems with the settings before I installed the SSD and PSU. In fact, I never touched anything other than the CPU controls and the device boot order. (And changing AHCI to IDE, but I changed that back and now I'm right back where I started)

No, man. Intel or AMD. What's your CPU and MB?

EDIT: This is about the controller on your motherboard, not teh SSD itself.
Also, don;t always trust what device manager tells you. You have teh latest generic drivers. And that's the problem

Solution

aheuer6

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

CPU: AMD A10-7700k
MB: Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H

I'm aware that it's likely the controller on my motherboard. The issue is that I cannot find anything useful on AMD's website, and Gigabyte's website and programs are definitely not up to par in my opinion (Probably the last time I side with them for motherboards)

If anyone can help me find a link to a proper driver page that I can search on, I would be very grateful.

aheuer6

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
A few days ago I had installed Gigabyte's chipset drivers, but Windows wouldn't use them by default, and I could not locate the driver manually to make windows use it.

I just installed the chipset driver downloaded from AMD's website, was able to have windows locate the AHCI driver and tell it to use it instead. I've rebooted and it's using the new driver, so now I guess I just have to use it for a while to see if the problem is resolved.

aheuer6

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

It did not work simply by installing the package. Windows still wanted to use its generic driver. However, I've manually located the AMD driver that the package installed and I am using it now.

Like I said, I'll have to wait a bit to see if the problem is still present.

Cool. I'm 99.99% sure your issue is solved.

TRENDING THREADS