[SOLVED] SSD and Harddrive

Dec 25, 2019
So I have a hard drive with all my games and files, and I want to get an ssd as well, but i want my computer to be faster, so would I transfer the files, because ideally I want to save everything on my pc right now, what should i do? can i have an ssd and hard drive operating together in the same pc?

Solution
Yes, you can have both together on the same PC.

Usually, most people use the SSD for the operating system (Windows, Linux, etc.) and applications (Office, game launchers, browsers, etc.) while using the hard drive for game and personal file storage since games tend to be rather large and large SSDs are very expensive while large hard drives are relatively cheap.

The only problem with that is that while that makes the OS and applications much faster, it doesn't do anything for game map, level and startup loading times, but it's still definitely a good option since those usually don't take THAT long anyhow, and a few seconds won't kill anybody while something is loading.

Storage media has zero effect on "FPS" anyhow, so that won't be...

USAFRet

Titan
You can absolutely have an SSD and HDD working together. That's a common configuration.

For a potential transfer:
  1. What type and size of SSD?
  2. Drive type partially depends on what motherboard you have.
  3. How much space is consumed on your current HDD?
  4. What OS is this?

More questions to follow.

Yes, you can have both together on the same PC.

Usually, most people use the SSD for the operating system (Windows, Linux, etc.) and applications (Office, game launchers, browsers, etc.) while using the hard drive for game and personal file storage since games tend to be rather large and large SSDs are very expensive while large hard drives are relatively cheap.

The only problem with that is that while that makes the OS and applications much faster, it doesn't do anything for game map, level and startup loading times, but it's still definitely a good option since those usually don't take THAT long anyhow, and a few seconds won't kill anybody while something is loading.

Storage media has zero effect on "FPS" anyhow, so that won't be affected no matter how you use these drives.

If you're going to use an SSD for the OS my advice is always to do a clean install of Windows and then reinstall all your game launchers, browser and other applications as well, so that you are starting with a nice, fresh copy of Windows. You can however "clone" your current installation to the SSD if the total used space on your HDD isn't more than about 75% of the available space on the SSD. Clean install is better though.

Solution