SSD and HDD question

telmanton

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
Hello,

I recently purchased an SSD, and installed windows 10 on it. Previously, I was using an HDD with windows 7 on it.

After installing the SSD, installing windows 10 on it, and booting up my computer, I noticed that all my drivers weren't installed; basically I cannot use any file on my HDD in junction with this new SSD.

I am wondering what I need to do/what I did wrong. Should I upgrade my HDD to windows 10 as well? Do I need to format my HDD? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Solution

Ah...

You have a whole new OS installed on the SSD. You need to install the drivers for your hardware.
GPU, WiFi adapter, etc, etc...

You need to install all those. Your new OS does not not know anything about them.

Also, you need to remove the D drive letter from the System Reserved partition on Disk 0.
Serves no purpose, and just adds confusion.

USAFRet

Titan

You did a clean install of the OS on the SSD?
In Disk Management, can you see the HDD? Please post a screencap of this.
Can you see it in 'This PC', as another drive letter?

The applications on it can't be used, but you should be able too see it.

Additionally, "drive" vs "driver"
You mention "driver" above. What exactly do you mean?

telmanton

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017

Yes, the first and only thing I have installed on the SSD is Windows 10 (keep in mind that I still have windows 7 on my HDD).
Yes, I can see both the HDD and SSD in disk management, (https://i.imgur.com/RKsfRoY.png).
C: is my HDD, D: is the new system reserve, and E: is the SSD, I can see it under this pc/computer.

What I meant by driver, is that my gpu driver doesn't work, my wireless adapter driver doesn't work, and I believe my audio driver does not work, even though I have them all installed on my HDD and they work when I boot off my HDD into windows 7.

USAFRet

Titan

Ah...

You have a whole new OS installed on the SSD. You need to install the drivers for your hardware.
GPU, WiFi adapter, etc, etc...

You need to install all those. Your new OS does not not know anything about them.

Also, you need to remove the D drive letter from the System Reserved partition on Disk 0.
Serves no purpose, and just adds confusion.

Solution