[SOLVED] SSD and HDD to new build questions

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I am currently building a new PC but I am going to be moving my 860 evo ssd and HDD to my new build. I bought a new PSU which I assume has all the different cables I need to hook up various components. Do I need to keep the cables that are currently hooked up providing power to my ssd and hdd or will my new psu have all those?

Also, for my old ssd that has windows OS on it along with a few games, im going to be installing a fresh windows on a new Nvme I have. I pretty much just want to clear this ssd back to factory. Can I do that easily when I install new windows? I just dont want the old windows interfering with my new install on another drive.

Solution
The new PSU and motherboard will have all the cables you need. If you need more, you can always salvage it from the previous build.

As for the Windows install, don't plug the 860 in when you install it on the NVMe. The Windows installer may update the bootloader in the 860, which would require it to boot to the NVMe install. So basically, install Windows with only the NVMe drive for maximum insurance the NVMe drive is bootable. From there, you just need to make sure the system boots in the NVME drive instead of the 860. Though you could just wipe the 860 once you've pulled what you want from it and reformat it.
Do I need to keep the cables that are currently hooked up providing power to my ssd and hdd or will my new psu have all those?
On modular PSUs cables are not interchangeable between different PSU models. Use only cables supplied with specific PSU or you can kill/damage hardware connected.
im going to be installing a fresh windows on a new Nvme I have. I pretty much just want to clear this ssd back to factory. Can I do that easily when I install new windows?
When installing windows, have only single drive connected. After windows install is done, connect old drives and clean them.

The new PSU and motherboard will have all the cables you need. If you need more, you can always salvage it from the previous build.

As for the Windows install, don't plug the 860 in when you install it on the NVMe. The Windows installer may update the bootloader in the 860, which would require it to boot to the NVMe install. So basically, install Windows with only the NVMe drive for maximum insurance the NVMe drive is bootable. From there, you just need to make sure the system boots in the NVME drive instead of the 860. Though you could just wipe the 860 once you've pulled what you want from it and reformat it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS