SSD and HDD?

cakell09

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
I am in the process of building my PC and I need some suggestions. I want to use a SSD for boot (and possibly drivers, etc?) and have a RAID 10 array for everything else on 4 velociraptors. I need a lot of storage space, but I also need it to be very safe, hence the RAID 10. I've heard there aren't many advantages to RAID 0-ing SSD's so I think I would just use one. For my motherboard I am looking at the ASUS Maximus VI extreme. It supports RAID 10, but would I benefit more from a RAID card? And if so, any suggestions?

Unless your doing RAID 5 or 6, there isn't any need for a dedicated RAID card. RAID 0, 1 and 10 require no parity calculations, so there is little need for dedicated RAID hardware like you would with 5 or 6.

What are you doing that requires RAID10 10k drives?

cakell09

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
The reason I was looking to put the Raptors in RAID 10 is because I need a decent amount of storage, I'm not a big fan of SSD for main drives, and I need the information to be safe. I spend a decent amount of time gaming, but I also have a LOT of photos. My girlfriend and I both have DSLR cameras and she does all the editing on her computer (which she will be doing on mine once it's built).