SSD and HDD

Austinpowers97

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
Hello i am bulding a new computer and I was going to buy a Samsung 850 EVO - 1TB to store my games and not what on Then I was going to buy a WD Black 3TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64Mb cache the question I have is how would I install and configure them to do that and should I buy two of the HDD so they are like a raid 1. Also can a raid one configuration also be like a different drive live drive D. I'm new to computers and have been trying to learn everything I can on them so I make sure I do this right because I have always been into them. Any advise on my storage and what to do would be appreciated

Solution
The X99 Deluxe has the following SATA Express ports,You have a combination of Intel and ASMedia ports for two drives.
This gives the motherboard a total of 12 SATA ports: 10 from the chipset (6 RAID capable) and two from the ASMedia controller.

The ASUS X99-Deluxe uses three ASMedia ASM1042AE SuperSpeed USB 3.0 controllers for the SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ports on the I/O panel. While the Intel X99 chipset offers four SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ports, ASUS has them being used on the internal headers. Each of the ASMedia ASM1042AE controller chips support a pair of USB 3.0 ports.

The MB has a pair of ASMedia ASM1074 chips, the ASM1074 chips are SuperSpeed USB 3.0 hubs. The ASMedia hubs split the controller into additional ports, each of the hubs...
There is a better way to go, Your OS should reside on the SSD and storage to your HDD.
You can save a lot of money by reducing the SSD to 500GB for Windows, and lots of other personal stuff.
You must have a lot of stuff to store at 3TB requirement.
Reduce the 3Tb HDD to a 1TB as it will take a long time to fill that up if your using your system at home and playing games. You can always get another drive if you run out.

Really with an SSD these days, there is no need for Raid imo. If its security your concerned with then get an WD passport external USB drive to backup your important files.

To install your drives is relatively simple and all instructions would come with the package.

Basically, you connect power to the drive and your SSD SATA cable connects to SATAe port on MB.
Your HDD connects to SATA port.
Once installed you go to your Bios and configure for priority to boot first to your installation media, be it USB or DVD. Then once the OS is installed you change the config in Bios to boot from your SSD.

When the time is right and your ready to start up, If you have issues then there will be someone here to help.

Go here to learn about Raid arrays.http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-raid/ Do you really need it. ?

Austinpowers97

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
The mother board I was planning on buying is the X99-DELUXE II by asus I download the manual for it would I just plug them both into one of the Intel® Serial ATA 6 Gb/s connectors or ASMedia® Serial ATA 6 Gb/s connectors SATA express also thanks for the help once I finalize the parts I want it would be helpful to make sure they all work together before u buy them.thanks alot

The X99 Deluxe has the following SATA Express ports,You have a combination of Intel and ASMedia ports for two drives.
This gives the motherboard a total of 12 SATA ports: 10 from the chipset (6 RAID capable) and two from the ASMedia controller.

The ASUS X99-Deluxe uses three ASMedia ASM1042AE SuperSpeed USB 3.0 controllers for the SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ports on the I/O panel. While the Intel X99 chipset offers four SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ports, ASUS has them being used on the internal headers. Each of the ASMedia ASM1042AE controller chips support a pair of USB 3.0 ports.

The MB has a pair of ASMedia ASM1074 chips, the ASM1074 chips are SuperSpeed USB 3.0 hubs. The ASMedia hubs split the controller into additional ports, each of the hubs splits two ports into four USB 3.0 ports each. Three ASMedia ASM1042AE controllers plus two ASM1074 hubs gives us the ten SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ports on the I/O panel.

Sound confusing, Don't worry, when the time comes there will be advice available here for just how to hook them up, based on what Drives you purchase.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS