[SOLVED] SSD and NVME?

padraigbell

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
Looking at upgrading a SSD. Any reccomendations for around £100 mark?

Also, is there difference between an SSD and a NVME PCIE M.2 and if so, what?

Solution
OK.
Your Z370 can indeed use an NVMe m.2 drive, and/or a SATA III SSD.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z370-TOMAHAWK/Specification

The NVMe drives are generally significantly more expensive per GB than a SATA III SSD.

An SSD of either type is highly recommended.
For a gaming system, you may not notice the speed diff between NVMe and SATA III.

Given a current 4TB drive as your only drive, you may be looking at a full clean install on the new SSD, whatever it is.

USAFRet

Titan
Looking at upgrading a SSD. Any reccomendations for around £100 mark?

Also, is there difference between an SSD and a NVME PCIE M.2 and if so, what?
NVMe is a variant of "SSD".
NVMe drives are 'faster' than SATA SSD's. But for a whole lot of people, that difference is not noticeable.

What motherboard do you have?
What size do you need?
What do you use this system for?

Reactions: TJ Hooker

padraigbell

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
NVMe is a variant of "SSD".
NVMe drives are 'faster' than SATA SSD's. But for a whole lot of people, that difference is not noticeable.

What motherboard do you have?
What size do you need?
What do you use this system for?

ah ok, thanks

Motherboard - Z370 Tomahawk
Im not entirely sure on what size I need. I have a 4TB HDD, but I guess enough to improve the systems speed and some gaming speed.
Mainly used for gaming but soon 3d design for work related projects (e.g Revit) could be possible

USAFRet

Titan
OK.
Your Z370 can indeed use an NVMe m.2 drive, and/or a SATA III SSD.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z370-TOMAHAWK/Specification

The NVMe drives are generally significantly more expensive per GB than a SATA III SSD.

An SSD of either type is highly recommended.
For a gaming system, you may not notice the speed diff between NVMe and SATA III.

Given a current 4TB drive as your only drive, you may be looking at a full clean install on the new SSD, whatever it is.

Solution

padraigbell

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
I've seen a Samsung 860 pro for about 150£. Also the 860 evo for just under 100£. Both 1TB I might add.

Recommendations on them both, would the cheaper evo be much of downgrade to the pro?

USAFRet

Titan
I've seen a Samsung 860 pro for about 150£. Also the 860 evo for just under 100£. Both 1TB I might add.

Recommendations on them both, would the cheaper evo be much of downgrade to the pro?
Speedwise, not a downgrade at all.
I have 2x 860 EVO. 1TB and 500GB.

They have the same initial read/write speed. The EVO will slow down a little in long, sustained write functions. But that is not something most peo0ple would notice.
The Pro has a higher TBW warranty number, but again, that is not something to be concerned about. In normal use, you'd never wear the drive out due to too many write cycles.

padraigbell

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
I agree, EVO (I have 2 500gb) is great.
As stated earlier, you would have to reinstall windows on it, unless you have a partitioned HDD then you can clone windows onto it (clone has to be smaller than the new SSD)

PC is relatively new. I dont have too much on apart from software and 2 games. Maybe 200gb total so was thinking of just transferring all from HDD to SSD?

Both of you have two SSD's. Would it be better to go for 2 500gb or stick with the single 1TB? Or does that really matter?

PC is relatively new. I dont have too much on apart from software and 2 games. Maybe 200gb total so was thinking of just transferring all from HDD to SSD?

Both of you have two SSD's. Would it be better to go for 2 500gb or stick with the single 1TB? Or does that really matter?
Yes you can do that and with Samsung the software Magician is so easy to use, you are good to go!
If you want to know how to do it 100% properly, USAFRet is the master class of cloning, he has made many posts about how to do it.
It is not complicated, but he is the guru when it comes to cloning!

Reactions: padraigbell

USAFRet

Titan

Depends on how you want to set it up.

I prefer 1 drive for the OS and applications. Other things, including games, live on other drives.

6x SSD..:) Each with their own purpose.
Vd60kOB.png

Here, all these drives did not appear at the same time. They were collected and installed over a period of several years.

Other people prefer 1 large drive for everything.

padraigbell

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
Depends on how you want to set it up.

I prefer 1 drive for the OS and applications. Other things, including games, live on other drives.

6x SSD..:) Each with their own purpose.
Vd60kOB.png

Here, all these drives did not appear at the same time. They were collected and installed over a period of several years.

Other people prefer 1 large drive for everything.

Thanks, great collection you've made over the years!

Il stick with the 1tb for now then and il check for some of your cloning posts too.

Is there anything I need to purchase to do so? I seen something there that I may need a USB to Sata cable.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks, great collection you've made over the years!

Il stick with the 1tb for now then and il check for some of your cloning posts too.

Is there anything I need to purchase to do so? I seen something there that I may need a USB to Sata cable.
For a desktop, you don't need a USB - SATA cable.
Just a SATA data cable from the motherboard, just like your current drive.

Reactions: padraigbell