[SOLVED] SSD and old laptops

Jan 7, 2021
Hi all,

I have two very old laptops that I have been asked to try and bring back to life. A Toshiba Satellite Pro A100-264 and a Lenovo Think pad T61. The Lenovi seems ok, can throw an SSD and 4GB Ram at it, install Windows 10 and all is well. The Toshiba im not so sure about, 2GB Ram is its max, I can throw an SSD at it but the ram just about covers the windows 10 req, also its a 32bit processor. Any thoughts?
They are to be used for study during lockdown in the UK.

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah I get that, he needs them both usable so I'll do what I can and wish him all the best! 🤣
The Toshiba is a 32 bit system so choices are super limited, the 2GB ram just adds to that issue. I feel the only way I can deliver a semi workable product is to install a cheap 120gb SSD with win10 32bit. Just wanted to get others views on it. Its crap, we know that, but it is what it is.. 🙄
Little to lose by trying it.

Put the SSD in, install Win 10. Skip any licensing until later.
See how it operates.

USAFRet

Titan
Jan 7, 2021
Win 10 is going to be marginal on both of those, especially the Toshiba.

Is your study application workable with Linux?
I don't think so, client wants them to be able to use them (as normal). I've tempered his expectation but the Toshiba i think is a bit flaky, he's determined though. Win10 32bit not an option for the Toshiba?

Jan 7, 2021
32 or 64bit is not the (main) issue.
2GB RAM is.
Yeah I get that, he needs them both usable so I'll do what I can and wish him all the best! 🤣
The Toshiba is a 32 bit system so choices are super limited, the 2GB ram just adds to that issue. I feel the only way I can deliver a semi workable product is to install a cheap 120gb SSD with win10 32bit. Just wanted to get others views on it. Its crap, we know that, but it is what it is.. 🙄

USAFRet

Titan
Little to lose by trying it.

Put the SSD in, install Win 10. Skip any licensing until later.
See how it operates.

Reactions: Gforce77i
Solution