SSD and power cycle

Abasayo

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Hello to all,

I bought crucial 500mx ssd 2 months ago for my old Lenovo t61. The drive works great.

The thing is that I rarely shut down my computer, But every time i close the lid - the computer get into sleep/standby mode, and every time I open it again the s.m.a.r.t adding one more power cycle to the ssd.

I already have 120 power cycle with only 60 hours power on.

Is that many "power cycle" can harm the ssd in the long term? is there a way to fix it?

Thank you in advance

Solution
I have never heard of "power cycling" wearing out an SSD and I wouldn't worry about it.

What I would worry about is "sleep mode". I've had many problems with sleep mode over the years. Many people on here have had problems with sleep mode. I've stopped using sleep mode years ago due to the number of problems I've had. I would stop using sleep mode if I were you. This is my advice.
I have never heard of "power cycling" wearing out an SSD and I wouldn't worry about it.

What I would worry about is "sleep mode". I've had many problems with sleep mode over the years. Many people on here have had problems with sleep mode. I've stopped using sleep mode years ago due to the number of problems I've had. I would stop using sleep mode if I were you. This is my advice.

Solution

Abasayo

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Thank you very much for your answer.

So "stop using sleep mode" meaning not to close the lid, and instead shut down the laptop?

I remember that in the past there was "standby mode" - now the power Manger only have sleep as action when lid closed

Thank in advance

I'm just saying that "sleep mode" has caused me lots of grief across multiple PCs.....and it seems to cause a lot of other people grief as well from reading what I read on these forums.

I power down my PCs if I'm not going to use them for a few hours. If it's just going to be an hour or so I leave them on.