[SOLVED] SSD/ and RAM upgrade is it worth it ?

Aug 30, 2018
Hi all i'am sure this is an age old question however didn't find an answer specific to my situation ...i have an aging system and was thinking if i upgraded to an SSD and added more RAM will that help keep it alive for a little while longer

SPECS:
CPU: i5 4590 "cant upgrade it now due to budget XD"
RAM: DDR 3 rip jaws g.skill 4 gigs*2 chips "upgrade will be adding another 4 gig *2 chips" totaling to 16 GB 1600 MHZ
Drive: a 3 year old 1 TB HDD blue western .."upgrade will add a new SSD mainly for system and games"
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

i use it mainly for gaming i prefer single player stuff like Witcher 3 and AC and looking forward to try to push the new red dead redemption 2 :) thanks in advance

Solution
SSD and RAM are not going to make any material difference to fps but could reduce stuttering if your games suffer with that. However adding RAM is not guaranteed to work without issue, there is always a risk of issue when mixing RAM.

The games you list are all known to be very cpu demanding and a 4 core/thread cpu is going to struggle regardless of the rest of the system. You are probably better off saving your money until you can do a cpu/motherboard/RAM upgrade.
Nov 7, 2019
RAM upgrades are very worth it since your computer would be faster and you probably only need get the SSD if you need more space due to your budget. Make sure the parts you choose are compatible!

SSD and RAM are not going to make any material difference to fps but could reduce stuttering if your games suffer with that. However adding RAM is not guaranteed to work without issue, there is always a risk of issue when mixing RAM.

The games you list are all known to be very cpu demanding and a 4 core/thread cpu is going to struggle regardless of the rest of the system. You are probably better off saving your money until you can do a cpu/motherboard/RAM upgrade.

Reactions: darkmay_blackmirage
Solution
Aug 30, 2018

thx, i agree i think iam not hitting 100% RAM usage however iam hitting 100% CPU usage most of the time thats why i try to change down in game settings that r known to be most impacting on CPU