SSD and windows reinstall?

starburst

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I am a few clicks away from ordering a samsung 830 ssd, and before i make my purchase, i would like to know what will happen when i re install windows onto my ssd? I bought a copy of windows 7 and i already have it installed onto my HDD. When i receive my SSD, and re install windows onto my SSD will i need to buy a new product key for windows, or will it not matter?

starburst

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Would i be able to migrate my anti virus software from my hdd to my ssd? I realized that when i do a fresh install of windows to my ssd my kaspersky won't work since it won't be in registry. If i migrate it from my hdd to my ssd i should have no problems right?

One last question, am i able to just migrate my antivirus over to my ssd from my hdd, or will i have to migrate everything with it?

In that case instead of doing a fresh install you would have to migrate your HDD to your SDD. Check the contents of the SSD and see if it comes with software to do that.

Also FYI, I used to be a die-hard user of paid anti-virus software (Norton). I switched to Microsoft Security Essentials (free) about 3 years ago and haven't regretted it.

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
You can use Windows 7 "back-up" features to make a copy of your hdd. After you have made a back-up use the windows 7 back-up tools to make a bootable cd or dvd. Then, install your ssd. Use the bootable cd or dvd that you made and tell it to restore to your new ssd. And I agree with Dereck. Microsoft Security essentials works just fine.

starburst

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Thank you, i will be sure to migrate my files. One last question with a migrate program, will i be able to choose what i want to migrate, or does everything have to be transferred?

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012