[SOLVED] SSD argument

Apr 12, 2021
Hello Guys,

I would like to ask you a question in order to get a clarified answer.

Is it Safe to leave a Solid State drive atop a Hard drive Disk? (Not NVMe SSD) --->(Unmounted, touching each other)
If not, Why? please explain the logic behind it.

Kind Regards, Thank you for your time.

Solution
What about heat issues ? that why i am asking. And in long term could the SSD potentially burn??

And is it the right way to put an ssd on a case??or just a quick solution just like yours? you didnt have 2nd drive to mount your ssd
It might present a heat issue for both the hdd and the ssd.
Best to mount the ssd in a 2.5 bay or a 3.5 bay with an adapter.
Apr 12, 2021
What about heat issues ? that why i am asking. And in long term could the SSD potentially burn??

And is it the right way to put an ssd on a case??or just a quick solution just like yours? you didnt have 2nd drive to mount your ssd

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
If you have to, use double sided tape and stick it ontop of the hdd. Heat is always a issue but not really that bad for a sdd, check that there is air moving around the drive. I wouldnt worry about it

It might present a heat issue for both the hdd and the ssd.
Best to mount the ssd in a 2.5 bay or a 3.5 bay with an adapter.

Reactions: tex89
Solution
Apr 12, 2021
I am asking because i had an argument, that it is safe to put ssd atop an hdd and no heat issues would come in a long term!

From my side, i had an ssd in earlier years atop on hdd and about 1 year and half my ssd died from heat (Not Cheap SSD)

Define "Safe"
What are the perils that might concern you?

I would think that leaving a ssd loose laying on top of anything might lead to a loose sata or sata cable connection and loss of signal.
That would be mu most serious concern.
Under heavy load, a ssd might consume 4w of power; normally half of that.
Heat generated will be minimal and is unlikely to damage the ssd.
A heavily used hard drive might need 10w to operate.
Really, not much at all.
With any sort of airflow at all, neither drive will heat up significantly.
Most hdd and ssd drives have an upper environmental temperature of about 70c.
That is really hot.
If there is no prepared mounting place for a ssd, I would place it on the bottom of the case.
Drill a small hole in the bottom of the case to fix the ssd to the bottom so it does not move.
Less scure, but useful use duct tape or double sided tape to secure it.

USAFRet

Titan
I meant the right choice and safe decision to leave the Sata ssd atop of hdd!!
Vibration.
Being a mechanical device, the HDD vibrates slightly in use.
The SSD sitting loose, directly on top of this with no isolation....You'll have more noise emanating from that.

Is this just a theoretical discussion between you and your buddy, or do you really have a case with no 2.5" mount points?

Apr 12, 2021
Vibration.
Being a mechanical device, the HDD vibrates slightly in use.
The SSD sitting loose, directly on top of this with no isolation....You'll have more noise emanating from that.

Is this just a theoretical discussion between you and your buddy, or do you really have a case with no 2.5" mount points?
It's theoretical discussion of course, and thanks in advance all of you for participating to my post.
Furthermore i've lost an ssd just like that, because it was sitting loose directly on top of an hdd after 1 year and a half, It was pretty hot that day the ssd!!

2.5" SATA SSD is small enough that is possible to bolt it inside empty optical drive bay or somewhere else. In my old system one 2.5" SSD drive was mounted behind motherboard on inner computer case chassis attached with small repurposed steel plate.

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
Generally speaking, the NAND chips on the SSD actually like to run slightly warm, because it improves the conductivity within the NAND cells during "set" operations, which is part of what helps increase data persistence. When turned of, they prefer a cool environment. The controller will always prefer lower temperatures, but as it is a SATA SSD, it won't reach a particularly high temperature very quickly and it should always last far longer than the NAND itself. All in all, it's safe and possibly positive for longevity, although potentially noisier, as USAFret mentioned.