ssd as boot + 2hdd in raid 0

Almog_K

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
i know it's has been questioned - ALOT-
i have 1 ssd that i want to use as boot device for win 10
i have 2 1tb hdd that i want to RAID (0).

i had all of them connected set SATA mode to RAID
windows 10 error in setup "windows cannot be installed on that drive select other boot drive"
(the 2 hdd was not RAID 0 in that time, just connected)

so i changed sata mode to ahci installed windows normally
then changed the SATA mode to raid; set the raid formation but the bios (nor windows) "see" the ssd as boot device so no luck on that method

i read in the forum one should change SATA mode to RAID with only the ssd connected. then
install windows (as SSD fall back to AHCI mod) then after windows installed one should connect the HDD for the RAID and RAID them.

the question is if this method should be done once or should it be done every time you want to install windows (as if i want to reformat my system for example)
because in this case you lose the entire data everytime you install windows.

what is the right method for raid 0 two HDD and keeping the SSD bootable?

my board is - asus z170 pro gaming

thank you in advance!

yes you want to have ONLY the target drive installed when isntalling windows

No you will NOT lose your data every time because the BIOS should always be left in RAID.

More than likely it sounds like the proper RAID drivers weren't installed during setup. If you go to the Motherboard site and go under drivers and see if there are RAID drivers for Windows Install. if so you need to install those when you get to the select a drive screen.

Also on the whole switching method AFTER you install windows there is registry changes you have to do to get that to work as well.

Did the windows 10 install even see the SSD or no?

Almog_K

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
it can see the ssd in raid mod.
but it wont install.

the real problem is, when i change my sata mode to raid the bios do not show the ssd as bootable device. as for windows now allowing install there and i cannot boot to windows after changing the mode to raid.