SSD as Boot, 2x HDD's as storage..

213crz

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Hi guys,

Supernoob question here. I have looked around and not been able to find an exact step-by-step GUIDE on how to do this but I am probably just dumb.

I have a lot of data on the 2 Cavs that I would like to save. I have already installed windows on SSD. I would like to be able to access the data off the storage drives. I have not yet connected them but will as soon as I hear back from you guys. I have to go change from IDE to AHCI though right? How exactly do I do this? Do you guys have any links for youtube videos or guides out there? I do not want to set the drives up as RAID at this time.

Thanks!

Here is the set up:

-i5-2500K
-ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
-2x 4GB (8GB) DDR3 1600 RAM
-120GB Force GT SSD
-2x 500GB Black Cavs
-GTX 460
-Antec Green 650w
-Corsair 300D

Okay I really need some help. And I am going to make a STEP-BY-STEP guide for myself and employees so I know how to do this in the future. I have only been building rigs with one drive lately so I just havn't had to do this many times before now. I did do it once or twice last month but have since forgotten exactly how I did it. And I had help from a friend.

daysyang

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
if you installed it as ide... you can redo clean install on ahci or do registry edit then change bios to ahci.
regedit:
Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

hope this helps

You say there is data on the Caviars...were they the boot device in RAID-0 on this PC, or did they come from another PC?
If they came from another PC, were they using the mobo RAID controller, or an add-in card? If the mobo RAID controller, you will need to re-install them in that PC and copy the data off onto another drive (can use an external, but might be slow). If they used a RAID card, you may be able to install that card in your new system and have the RAID still work. You cannot, however, plug RAID drives into a different RAID controller (e.g. on a different mobo) and expect them to work. When you install them on a different RAID controller, you'll need to re-initialize them and recreate your RAID, then copy the data from the backup drive.
If the Caviars were never in a RAID, just data drives somewhere, it should be possible to connect them in the new system. You don't have to use AHCI, but you'll get better performance from them if you do. You'll just need to make sure the SSD is the boot drive.

1. You should have installed Windows to the SSD in ACHI mode. But you can change that, with a registry tweak listed above.

But if you are an admitted noob, I'd reinstall.

2. You were right to disconnect the HDD suring the SSD install, IF THEY HAVE ANY VERSION OF WINDOWS ON THEM!

After you get past #1, you can reconnect them to access the data on them.

As they are already formatted and have data on them, Windows should automatically assign drive letters of them (D & E). Then you can access the data.

If they were your boot drive(s), you could then delete the old versions on Windows, but be careful, as some of the data you want to save may be within the "Windows" folder. Mostly not if the data is Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos (known as Libraries now). They be in the "User"or "Documemts and Settings" folders of the original OS drive.

Good Luck. We all were newbies at some point!

Cheers.

P.S. And what jtt283 said, if you had them in RAID (which I doubt).

213crz

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Okay guys. I was wrong about the two HDD'a one is a 250GB and one is a 500GB.

I went ahead and did everything to the "tee" and it is booting up properly, and even recognizing the 500GB allowing me to access those files that are on there. However, I have NOT been able to get it to recognize the 250GB HDD, sadly. Although I am pretty sure it recognizes it in the Computer Management (Local), click Storage, and then click Disk Management but won't let me do anything besides delete it.

Any suggestions? I assume the 250 was the boot drive and has an OS on it and I need to reformat or something?

Thank you guys so much for your PERFECT and direct answers. I do not think they were set up in RAID either.

+1 million :D