SSD as boot and 1TB HDD as storage 7 Professional

tjlmbklr

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I wasn't sure what section to post this in since it could be a SSD/Storage question or a system configuration question.

I have a HTPC I built a few years back that I used a 64GB SSD as my boot drive. I also have a 1TB HDD as my primary storage device. All my program files are still located on my SSD as well as my "Windows" and "Users" files. I have made My Documents, Music, and all the other User folders open on my HDD. But I am not sure if I did this properly. I may have set this up wrong and I am thinking I may want to go through and redo it, but am not looking forward to another reimage and reloading all my programs. Since then I have

I found THIS article on proper setup and want to confirm this is how it should be done.

The reason I want to do this now is I seem to have files all over my system that wish were more organized. Also, I am having major sharing issues that I still cannot resolve which I posted in an earlier thread a few weeks back HERE. I can see my laptop from HTPC and open everything I have shared, but not the other way around. I can only assume my setup is to blame.

Bottom line: I want to have my SSD as my Primary boot partition and all other files, Users (aka, Pictures, My Documents, Music, My Videos etc) on my 1TB HDD.

Can this be done without starting from scratch? What the recommended best way to do this?

Thank you in advance for the help!

green91

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Yes, its very easy too. Just make the folders on the 1tb HD, and change the library location. Usually its as easy as right clicking the library name (my documents for example), click properties, and change the location to the folder on the 1tb hd.

tjlmbklr

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I believe this is how I did it, but I still have a Users folder on my C (SSD Boot) drive. I want to have the SSD drive for boot only and the User folders on the HDD.

I guess my question is: Is that link I shared the only real way to do it?

tjlmbklr

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010

Technically no, but I haven't dedicated too much to to it yet. The easy way to do it (which is how I have it set up now it HERE. I assume the proper way is found in the link I supplied in my original post but again HERE.

As stated in my original post, I am having sharing issues that I cannot make any sense of why I have network sharing issues between this computer and my laptop. Everything I share out on the laptop I can see on this PC but not the other way around, only some drives, or files of those drives. It's been driving me bonkers!