SSD as Boot Drive with Separate RAID

txc8675309

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I have just built a Win 7 machine for HD video editing with a Gigabyte P55 UD6 Motherboard. I have successfully installed Win 7 and Adobe CS4 on the sole SSD which I wish to use as the boot drive.

I also have 4 1TB WD Black drives that I wish to use in either a RAID10 or RAID5 configuration. I can't figure out how to configure the MOBO to recognize the SSD as the boot drive after I put the HDD's in RAID mode. It tries to boot off of the DVD drive which has no disc in it, so it requests insertion of a disc. It doesn't matter if or how the 4 discs are configured in RAID mode. As long as I indicate the mode for those SATA drives is RAID, it looks to the DVD drive for boot instructions. When I switch that SATA bank to DISABLED it finds and properly boots off of the SSD (at light speed).

How can I get t to recognize the SSD as the boot drive while simulaneously getting it to recognize the RAID volume for the 4 HDDs?

Thanks.

Solution
I'm assuming the blue connectors belong to the intel controller, use them. You have to set the controller to RAID mode prior to installing. Hit Cntrl+I during startup and configure the drives as you need. Then boot into the install disk and install.

txc8675309

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

As I stated MOBO is a Gigabyte P55-UD6

And, yes, I put the SSD first in the boot priority stack.

txc8675309

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
No, I didn't. I first installed Win 7 on the SSD. I assumed that would be fine since I should be able to install the OS on the SSD prior to obtaining extra (non-boot) hard drives. Is this not correct?

As to SATA controllers, there are three on this mobo to choose from. I chose the only one that accommodates more than two drives, since I am really interested in RAID5.

I'm assuming the blue connectors belong to the intel controller, use them. You have to set the controller to RAID mode prior to installing. Hit Cntrl+I during startup and configure the drives as you need. Then boot into the install disk and install.

Solution

txc8675309

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

That did the trick. Thanks.