[SOLVED] SSD as usb storage for low-powered Android Box, will it run?

hedgehog90.tw

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018
I use an X96 Mini plugged into a spare USB port on my TV without any additional power. I don't know for certain but I think the USB port on the TV is a standard USB2.0 outputting at 5V 500ma.
The X96 Mini can handle any USB stick I've got without fail, but 2.5" portable HDD's don't work without additional power. According to my PC (using USBDeview) my USB stick draws 200ma.

Now I'm wondering if my android box can handle an SSD without additional power, which - unless I'm mistaken - should use about the same power as a USB stick.
I'm thinking about getting a cheap 240GB SSD like one of these:

Kingston-SA400S37-240G
SanDisk-PLUS 240GB
Western-Digital-WDS240G2G0A-Internal-Green

But I can find no way of verifying if any of them will receive enough power to work with my X96 Mini.

If someone could provide me some info on this, or better yet, if anyone has the necessary hardware (ie, a similar android box, a similar SSD and an enclosure/Sata-USB adapter for connecting) and could test this for me, I'd be incredibly grateful!

Solution
You won't really lose much by trying, at worse you have an extra SSD for file storage or backups. You can also get a dual head USB cable for the USB enclosure that will connect to two USB ports to get more power. That is if the android box can handle pushing the power to it when it is only running off USB power itself.
You won't really lose much by trying, at worse you have an extra SSD for file storage or backups. You can also get a dual head USB cable for the USB enclosure that will connect to two USB ports to get more power. That is if the android box can handle pushing the power to it when it is only running off USB power itself.

Solution