SSD asking for DOS?

gfjyfvhu

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014
I recently built a PC and my SSD/motherboard is asking for DOS before i can install my windows 7. It gave me a site www.freedos.org and i put the DOS on a CD/DVD but i cant boot from it. Do i need to run XP then upgrade to windows 7?

Motherboard - Asus B75M-A
SSD - Samsung 840 Evo
OS - Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Agam3mn0n

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
This doesn't sound right. I own a Samsung 840 EVO along with 3 840 Pro's and I cant say that I have encountered this. Do you have any other disks, any other SSD's or HDD's attached to the motherboard? Perhaps the computer is trying to boot from a secondary or tertiary disk.. It's just a thought.

It is possible that the computer is simply returning a standard error message because you have not installed an Operating System on it. The message is usually something along the lines of 'Bad or mission Operating System. Please install one to proceed." If this is the message or its on a similar "missing Operating System" theme then it is not requesting the installation of DOS. It is simply requesting the installation of an Operating System as it is missing one presently.

gfjyfvhu

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014

I only have one SSD and no HDD. It asks me to pick one of the following

1) Intel 32bit XP/Win7 AHCI driver
2) Intel 64bit XP/Win7 AHCI driver
3) FreeDOS command prompt

If i pick 2 it asks for a formatted floppy
and if i pick 3 it says 'Welcome to FreeDOS (http://www.freedos.com.org)'

Please tell me how you installed your OS maybe its just a small misunderstanding. Please hurry I'm dying to play WoW :p
P.S All this is with the Motherboard disc in the optical drive running

Change the boot sequence in the BIOS and choose optical drive as first boot device. Insert Windows Installer CD/DVD in the optical driver. Save the changes and restart the system.

It will prompt you to press any key to boot from CD. Do it and follow the on screen instructions. After first restart go into the BIOS and change the boot sequence again, this time select your SSD as first booting device. Save changes and restart.

Complete the installation and you are good to go.

gfjyfvhu

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014

I've done that but it wont boot from the optical. I burnt a copy of Windows 7 Pro trial onto a disc so when the computer boots up into windows i can put the product key in because i didn't get a windows disc with it.