Question SSD being written too way too much.

Apr 21, 2020
Over 200GB of writes to it today and i have no idea what is doing it. It is my OS SSD, and i am doing nothing which could be making it write this much. I have no games installed on the SSD. Any help is appreciated, thanks. My SSD is the Crucial MX500 250GB, is no where near full, and is rated at 100TB writes.

Apr 21, 2020
Seems to be firefox, i also changed my TMP and TEMP location from my SSD to another drive. Should i uninstall firefox and reinstall it on another drive, such as my hard drive?

In Task Manager, under the processes tab, how many instances of Firefox is listed? They seem to have developed a bug where every tab becomes a new FF running. I have caught mine listed over ten times at once.

As far as a fix goes, I wouldn't know. Mozilla never got back to me about it.

One thing that might help a little, is to completely remove the pagefile from that drive.

Microsoft is/was pushing out latest Winver 1909 updates to my rig just 12 hours ago....; undoubtedly, this 5-7 period will see increased writes, as will major version updates upcoming....

I'd not worry about it over the course of a single random day, check it weekly/monthly, look for about 1 TB a month or so of writes unless you are a particular click-happy/ avid downloader of movies, etc...

What is the total amount of writes since the build? (For reference, I am at 25 TB written n about 33 months..

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020
In Task Manager, under the processes tab, how many instances of Firefox is listed? They seem to have developed a bug where every tab becomes a new FF running. I have caught mine listed over ten times at once.

One thing that might help a little, is to completely remove the pagefile from that drive.
I did a search for that bug and this may be a temporary fix though I'm not sure this is the same exact bug. For just a setting change that may fix it, it's worth a try.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/open-firefox-tab-windows-volume-mixer

Apr 21, 2020
I did a search for that bug and this may be a temporary fix though I'm not sure this is the same exact bug. For just a setting change that may fix it, it's worth a try.

Right. I'm sure it's just a setting too, but I could never figure out which one. You're right about the memory too. I remember getting a lot of FF is using extreme amount of memory messages all the time. I need to start that machine again, and see if it's still doing it. Here's hoping you track it right down.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
Over 200GB of writes to it today and i have no idea what is doing it. It is my OS SSD, and i am doing nothing which could be making it write this much. I have no games installed on the SSD. Any help is appreciated, thanks. My SSD is the Crucial MX500 250GB, is no where near full, and is rated at 100TB writes.
are you using it as a swap // virtual memory drive?

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020

First mistake is installing that malware marketed as a browser - reinstall win, do not install firefox and see how few issues you will have.

Apr 21, 2020

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/open-firefox-tab-windows-volume-mixer

Well, I found time to dig that old laptop out and try that fix. No, it did not get it, and yes, Firefox is still exhibiting that behavior. I'm not certain about this, so don't quote me here. But I just came to suspect that my Adblock extension is causing it. I'll remove it completely, and we'll see what happens. I can easily see this causing Firefox to write to the disk a lot. My browser cache on that machine is enormous. But it's nowhere near 200 GB. Try about a tenth of that. 25 GB is still a lot of browser cache though.