SSD Bench marking sftwr, Real World Results?

Mandude

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
All,

I bought a re-branded 120 gig sata 3 microcenter SSD after having problems with OCZ and crucial SSD,s. Seems to be working better than expected.

I have used both AS SSD benchmark and this Altto Benchmark. I read that the AS SSD and SF controllers don't get along because of compressed data? So I should use Altto.

AS SSD gave me a read speed of 215 MB and 109 MB write. While specs for the Microcenter SSD is 550/525. Altto surpasses those specs by a few MB's 565 Read and 540 Write. While that makes me feel good knowing it is as fast as they say, which benchmarking software gives me real world results?

Or does it just depend on controller and software used to benchmark?

Solution
Neither software gives you real world results.

ATTO uses highly compressible data to test Read/Write speeds.
Think of ATTO as "best-case" scenario.
An example of highly compressible data that I can think of is a Microsoft Word document.
Nobody works with only notes and memos. :)

AS-SSD uses highly incompressible data to test Read/Write speeds.
Think of AS-SSD as "worst-case" scenario.
An example of an incompressible file is a .wav music file or a .mpeg video file.
Unless you're a music producer or video producer, nobody works with only those types of files. :)

Real world data usage is in between the two.
Neither software gives you real world results.

ATTO uses highly compressible data to test Read/Write speeds.
Think of ATTO as "best-case" scenario.
An example of highly compressible data that I can think of is a Microsoft Word document.
Nobody works with only notes and memos. :)

AS-SSD uses highly incompressible data to test Read/Write speeds.
Think of AS-SSD as "worst-case" scenario.
An example of an incompressible file is a .wav music file or a .mpeg video file.
Unless you're a music producer or video producer, nobody works with only those types of files. :)

Real world data usage is in between the two.

Solution

Mandude

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
So what do you think about these scores?
BM1.png

Should I take the microcenter one back, and get the OCZ vertex 4? http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0387745

Thx for that link also! That' some good stuff!

Mandude

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
I feel like it's pretty snappy. It took 2 mins and 48 seconds to install photoshop 32/64 bit and it opens photoshop with all my plugins and actions and other settings in 4 seconds.

I just built this rig and it has to last me a while you know? So naturally I want the best.