SSD + BIOS R0140X6 + "operating system not found"

egl717

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017
Hi. I have an old sony vgn fj 270p. I read that I could upgrade the HDD with a new SSD in a compatibility webpage and bought the one of the right size. Even if the "magician samsung" did not work with the ssd, I managed to clone the hard drive and win XP reads it. I changed the disks and the ssd is not recognized (operating system not found). I cloned in two different ways but the result was the same.
I read that I had to change from IDE to AHCI in the BIOS but my BIOS does not show the option for IDE/AHCI. I have a Phoenix BIOS setup utility and the BIOS is R0140X6 (i searched and it seems updated).
Does this mean that I can not upgrade to an SSD? Thanks

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What, specifically, did you clone? You need the boot partition, as well as the bulk "C" drive partition.

A better idea would be to back up your data & clean install the OS to the SSD.

The being said, from what I can find, that laptop is an old Pentium M750 + 1GB RAM setup? For SSD money (ie $40-$50 minimum), you could probably find a more modern, faster laptop - 2nd Gen i5 + 4GB maybe?/

egl717

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017
Yes, I know I can find better notebooks but there is a lot of electronic garbage in the world and thought I could keep it for some basic work. It also comes with click to DVD (a software I liked). And... I like testing things I never did :)
I already installed an SSD using the software that comes with the samsung SSD for another notebook.
But the software does not work with this computer (I searched on the web and found that). I downloaded another software for cloning and I also cloned it with an hdd duplicator and in none of those cases I was able to boot with it after replacing the original hdd. I searched more on the web and found I had to change the ide option to ahci in the BIOS. But I couldn't find the option. the BIOS detects the hard drive when I boot with t connected thourgh an usb but, even if I change the booting order, it chooses the old hdd (if I disable it, it does not boot). Maybe something of the code of sector 0 is wrong (as I read on other posts) but first of all I wanted to discard if there might be some problem with SSD and this BIOS (and trying to boot with the SSD connected to a usb port to see if the BIOS could find it was done after posting this question ;().
If I know the BIOS shouldn't be the problem I try with patience the option of the hexa code for sector 0
It is too long I guess. thanks for all the time :)

p.s: I read about the clean install too. I don't have the cd and have to download/ create them but, in that case, I would loose some of the pre installed software sony vaio put on the notebook and I decided to fight a bit more to see if I could solve it. I know I'm a bit crazy