[SOLVED] SSD bios setup with old mobo and benchmark

Dasa

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Hello and Merry Christmas!

I managed to figure out some info but I still have no clue about all this.

I installed Windows 10 on an SSD with old mobo MSI P55A Fuzion that has 6 Sata 2 and 2 Sata 3 on Marvell controller. (The Marvell is reported, even by MSI forums, that it is does not exceed 3Gb/s).

I still wanted to test the Marvell controller in case it was working as advertised on box (6 Gb/s)

In main Bios > Integrated Peripherals > SATA 6Gb/s Controller Mode I changed it from IDE to AHCI (Options are IDE/AHCI/ and maybe Disabled not sure)
also in same page On-Chip ATA Devices > RAID mode I changed IDE to AHCI (Options are RAID/IDE/AHCI)

After installing windows, In boot I see the Disk described as 5Gb/s but Marvell Bios it says:

Marvell Info:

PCIe speed rate: 2.5 Gbps
Configure SATA as: AHCI mode

Disk Info:
Type: SATA PD
Feature support: NCQ 6GB 48bits
Current Speed: 6G

In Windows SSD appear as SCSI

in Main Bios (not Marvell) SSD appeared somewhere as IDE I think

Crystal Disk 7 results:

VnME4pO.jpg

I have many questions, please answer whatever you can :sweatsmile:

1.What do you think of benchmark?

2. Is it normal that SSD show as SCSI instead of AHCI in windows?

3. If I want to test Intel controller instead of Marvell:
A. Do I have to reinstall windows?
B. What settings I have to change in Bios?

4. What is the relation between "SATA 6Gb/s Controller Mode" setting and "RAID mode" setting under "On-Chip ATA devices", I mean the 6Gb/s is only found in the On-Chip? I mean the first settings imply talking about Marvell, right? what is the difference between these two? when should I use each of them?

Regards!

Solution
If someone else would like to help regarding the other questions, feel free whenever you see this thread, I'd really like to understand these questions.
2. No.

3.A. No
3.B. None

4. RAID mode would refer to being able to setup a RAID array controlled by the motherboard.
In the case of this particular motherboard, Marvell is technically SATA III, but actually slower.
The built in chipset SATA controller is SATA II.

Dasa

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks USAFRet (y)

If someone else would like to help regarding the other questions, feel free whenever you see this thread, I'd really like to understand these questions.

USAFRet

Titan
2. No.

3.A. No
3.B. None

4. RAID mode would refer to being able to setup a RAID array controlled by the motherboard.
In the case of this particular motherboard, Marvell is technically SATA III, but actually slower.
The built in chipset SATA controller is SATA II.

Reactions: Dasa
Solution