SSD Boot Drive Help?

BlackDeth55

Reputable
May 21, 2014
So i just got a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB SSD, and I want to set it up as a boot drive and use my 1 TB HDD as my storage drive. Only a couple of things i had questions about. My boot disk is windows 8.1 and windows 10 is what's on my HDD. Will those have any conflict? Also when I put Windows 8.1 (OEM disk version) will Windows allow me to use the same key since i used it once before? Also does anyone know a really good guide for this because all the ones I found are pretty crap. Any help is appreciated :)

BlackDeth55

Reputable
May 21, 2014

when building my pc I bought Windows 8.1 and then later Windows 10 was released. So my Windows CD is Windows 8.1

USAFRet

Titan

OK...your install media.
I thought you mean the drive you booted from one or the other.

So, you want the OS on the SSD.
2 options, Clone or Clean install

Clone requires that the total used space be below 100GB for that 850 EVO.

Clean install of Win 10, no problem. You can get the ISO to install with here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Since you Upgraded from a qualifying OS, you don't need to do that again. Just install WIN 10 on the new SSD.

BlackDeth55

Reputable
May 21, 2014

So I create an ISO using the mdeia tool. Then when the SSD prompts for windows I just give it whatever I put it on? And what happens to what is already on my HDD, with a clean install will it all get wiped?

USAFRet

Titan

You use the ISO to create a DVD or USB install media.
You boot from that, and tell it to install on the SSD.

And do this with ONLY the SSD connected.

BlackDeth55

Reputable
May 21, 2014

What happens to all that is currently on my HDD

USAFRet

Titan

It stays there. This is why you do the install with only the SSD connected.

What, specifically, is on that drive?

BlackDeth55

Reputable
May 21, 2014

The HDD has around 300 GB of stuff on it. The SSD itself hasn't even been installed yet, it is just sitting on my desk waiting to be installed. I just didn't really know how to go about doing everything. I know a lot more now but am still kind of nervous lol

and just to be sure i have this correct. Because I'm booting to the SSD, and not the HDD. It will not do a clean install of my Hard Drive so all will stay

BlackDeth55

Reputable
May 21, 2014

Will it ask on boot up which drive i want to put it on? Or do i have to set it in my BIOS first

TRENDING THREADS