Question SSD Boot Drive Selection

RenTheReaper

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
System:
Dell Inspiron 3646 (integrated graphics variant)
Windows 8.1 with bing
https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/...-3646-small-desktop_reference guide_en-us.pdf

Desc: Recently, I managed to "revive" an old computer I formerly used when I was younger. This computer does not seem to have any PCI or M.2 slots and came with a 5400 rpm HDD. Thereby a SATA SSD seems like an okay investment. I however do not plan on using this as my main computer and it will serve just as a secondary computer, capable of casual web searching/mundane tasks and ROBLOX gaming at most. I also plan on going to college soon, so the least I can spend on this computer which will be not used too often (could use extra saved money from SSD to upgrade ram from 4 to 8gb DDR3 either way).

I'm aware that some may argue that in modern times, a 120gb is not enough, but this is just to add a boot drive mainly to an old windows 8.1 secondary computer that will barely hold anything, especially as I'm more interested in upgrading my current primary system.

I might be asking for the impossible, but I'd perferably like a SATA III SSD that costs between $20-$37ish, and perfer more reliability than speed (not as concerning since replacing 5400 rpm HDD).

Current Considerations:
PNY CS900 120gb(SSD7CS900-120-RB)
(Perhaps worth getting 240 gb NQ100 instead?)
-
Lexar NS100 128gb(LNS100-128RBNA)
-
SiliconPower128gb(SU128GBSS3A55S2AH)
-
Willing to listen to advice and considerations and thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
System:
Dell Inspiron 3646 (integrated graphics variant)
Windows 8.1 with bing
https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/...-3646-small-desktop_reference guide_en-us.pdf

Desc: Recently, I managed to "revive" an old computer I formerly used when I was younger. This computer does not seem to have any PCI or M.2 slots and came with a 5400 rpm HDD. Thereby a SATA SSD seems like an okay investment. I however do not plan on using this as my main computer and it will serve just as a secondary computer, capable of casual web searching/mundane tasks and ROBLOX gaming at most. I also plan on going to college soon, so the least I can spend on this computer which will be not used too often (could use extra saved money from SSD to upgrade ram from 4 to 8gb DDR3 either way).

I'm aware that some may argue that in modern times, a 120gb is not enough, but this is just to add a boot drive mainly to an old windows 8.1 secondary computer that will barely hold anything, especially as I'm more interested in upgrading my current primary system.

I might be asking for the impossible, but I'd perferably like a SATA III SSD that costs between $20-$37ish, and perfer more reliability than speed (not as concerning since replacing 5400 rpm HDD).

Current Considerations:
PNY CS900 120gb(SSD7CS900-120-RB)
(Perhaps worth getting 240 gb NQ100 instead?)
-
Lexar NS100 128gb(LNS100-128RBNA)
-SiliconPower128gb(SU128GBSS3A55S2AH)
-
Willing to listen to advice and considerations and thank you in advance.
How much space is being used on the hdd?

Last edited by a moderator:

ErickParker

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
It's still a good machine. My suggestion would be a 240GB SSD that usually is faster than 120GB.
I would choose Crucial BX500 which is cheaper than the PNY CS900 .
Upgrade also to 8GB. Just browsing with Chrome will use more than 2GB RAM.
Although you didn't say which processor model is installed, I think with 8GB and 240GB SSD, Windows 10 would run smoothly.

RenTheReaper

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
On that note, I may be wrong, but I don't think I was able to find an internal PSU?.. And looking at the specifications as well as the cable I plug into the wall outlet which seems similar to my laptop's charger, this thing might run on 65w depending on if I'm correct or not? Still wondering a bit if its possible to have both SATA drives running in it.

RenTheReaper

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
It's still a good machine. My suggestion would be a 240GB SSD that usually is faster than 120GB.
I would choose Crucial BX500 which is cheaper than the PNY CS900 .
Upgrade also to 8GB. Just browsing with Chrome will use more than 2GB RAM.
Although you didn't say which processor model is installed, I think with 8GB and 240GB SSD, Windows 10 would run smoothly.
I have been rather interested on running windows 10 on it but sadly I don't think I can upgrade anymore since the free OS upgrade ended a while back(?)

On that note, I may be wrong, but I don't think I was able to find an internal PSU?.. And looking at the specifications as well as the cable I plug into the wall outlet which seems similar to my laptop's charger, this thing might run on 65w depending on if I'm correct or not? Still wondering a bit if its possible to have both SATA drives running in it.
You might want to take a peek inside to see what sort of mounting space it has and the mobo connections.

RenTheReaper

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
Actually, both.

The free update from 7/8/8.1 still works.

Assuming your motherboard has 2x SATA III ports, 2x SSDs will work.
So in other words, I can still in fact try upgrading to Windows 10 for free? Would I have to go to Microsoft's website for that or can I just create a fresh install on a usb and connect the usb to the computer after changing the boot order to begin upgrading the computer to windows 10?

USAFRet

Titan
So in other words, I can still in fact try upgrading to Windows 10 for free? Would I have to go to Microsoft's website for that or can I just create a fresh install on a usb and connect the usb to the computer after changing the boot order to begin upgrading the computer to windows 10?
Create a Win 10 USB.
Boot from that, and go through the whole install/upgrade routine.

Once Win 10 is on it and activated, then you can put in an SSD.
Remove the HDD, do a full clean install of Win 10 on the SSD.
Done.

This is your system?
https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-3646-small-desktop_reference guide_en-us.pdf

It appears to have only 2x SATA connections. 1 for the HDD, 1 for the DVD.
If you don't use the optical drive, you could repurpose that sata data and power connection for a second SATA III SSD.

Mounting 2x 2.5" SATA SSD:
There are adapters that will fit 2x 2.5" SSD in a single 3.5" mount space.
Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Dual-Mounting-Bracket-CSSD-BRKT2/dp/B016498CK0

But just for ease of use with such an old system, get a single SATA SSD of relevant size.

RenTheReaper

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
Create a Win 10 USB.

Done.

This is your system?
https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-3646-small-desktop_reference guide_en-us.pdf

If you don't use the optical drive, you could repurpose that sata data and power connection for a second SATA III SSD.

Like this:

But just for ease of use with such an old system, get a single SATA SSD of relevant size.
Out of curiosity, is there a certain inexpensive SSD that you would recommend me within a budget of $20-$35~? As mentioned, I don't mind if its not the fastest and might perfer a little more reliability if possible, but am very money conscious on this as its a computer that I don't intend on using very frequently. Would you agree with the BX500 mentioned earlier or do the SSDs in my list of considerations work as well? (Based in the US)

USAFRet

Titan
Out of curiosity, is there a certain inexpensive SSD that you would recommend me within a budget of $20-$35~? As mentioned, I don't mind if its not the fastest and might perfer a little more reliability if possible, but am very money conscious on this as its a computer that I don't intend on using very frequently. Would you agree with the BX500 mentioned earlier or do the SSDs in my list of considerations work as well? (Based in the US)
For that system, the BX500 is fine.
Speed is irrelevant.
Size and reliability is what counts.

RenTheReaper

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
Create a Win 10 USB.

Done.

This is your system?

Like this:

In case for clarification, after creating the win10 installation usb, I can leave the hdd in while going through the upgrade process, then once win10 is setup, turn off everything, switch out the hdd for the ssd (once I have the bx500), and then take that same usb and reinstall win10 on the new ssd WITHOUT having to first clone win8.1 to the ssd and then swapping the designated c drive? I presume this is because the DELL computer/motherboard would be registered with the microsoft servers or something? Also in case anything goes wrong, is there a way to backup the win8.1 system/c drive?

USAFRet

Titan
In case for clarification, after creating the win10 installation usb, I can leave the hdd in while going through the upgrade process, then once win10 is setup, turn off everything, switch out the hdd for the ssd (once I have the bx500), and then take that same usb and reinstall win10 on the new ssd WITHOUT having to first clone win8.1 to the ssd and then swapping the designated c drive? I presume this is because the DELL computer/motherboard would be registered with the microsoft servers or something? Also in case anything goes wrong, is there a way to backup the win8.1 system/c drive?
Yes.

Get the system activated with Win 10.
The activation lives with the system and Microsoft, not the drive.